ODay v Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I have a 1977 O'Day 27 and I like it a lot. It seems to be well-built and stable. It is pretty fast and fairly comfortable. How good is O'Day compared to Catalina or Pearson? I've heard arguments in both directions & I'm curious. I always had a bias against O'Day, but this boat really changed my mind.

G

Gary Jensen

Your O Day is a GREAT boat

I had an O Day 27 (1976) for 12 years and a Catalina 36 (1986) for 7 years and presently have a 380 catalina (1998). I have sailed them in the same waters, currents,tides,winds,etc.etc. The first year I had my O day, I registered over 100 days at the helm. The boat performed exceptional. It was strong, resilient sailed both up wind and downwind well. I flew the spinnaker, went wing and wing etc. I loved to take her out in strong winds...The stronger the better. Do not under-sell your O Day, it is a very well built,fast boat. I never lost a race to anyone near my size in the time I owned her. The Catalina 36 was good to me also. I never put her thru what I put my O day thru. My 380 seems pretty strong also. The difference is the size. Everything is much larger and I feel more subject to breaking although I have not experienced any failures yet!! Last week I did a spinnaker run for 15 miles on a 1984 Catalina 36 (hull #96). We were in 25 plus knots of wind and did over 30 jibes. That boat performed well too with any failures....BOTTOM LINE, both Catalina and O days are pretty good boats.

P

Paul Palmer

O'Day is a well built boat.

I have a 1977 O'Day 25 fixed Keel and have found it to be a very solid well build boat. I have been told by many people that the Older O'Days were build much stronger and heavier than most of the production boats of today. I recently overtook,passed and left behind a Catalina 25 and my sails are very old. So I guess they can hold there own as far as speed is concerned. I have never owned a Catalina but I am very happy with my O'Day.

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

O'Day vs. Catalina

Mike, Both boats have their strong points. I currently own an OD 26, before that, a Catalina 25 / Swing Keel. The Catalina's have a reputation of being overbuilt by Frank Butler, and I beleve it. The hull was much thicker than the OD, it was over 1" where I replace a thru hull. The OD hull can be deflected in the upper areas. The rigging was one size larger on the Catalina than the OD, but the OD's have several strong points. Aside from the sailing characteristics that have been mentioned eariler, the OD uses circuit breakers instead of fuses, and put in "REAL" metal light fixtures instead of the little plastic boxes. The bottom line, you won't go wrong with either boat as long as it checks out OK and is maintained. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" OD 26

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Danger will Robinson :)

Mike, From the other responses you have probably gathered that both boats are pretty good each trading strengths and weeknesses. I would assent to that sentiment. When I bought my newest boat, a c25, it came down to whichever of O25 or C25 came along first in the correct condition at the correct price. There were more Catalina 25's built so you see more out there. Don't confuse this for superiority. Justin - O'day Owners Web

G

Glenn Bevensee

ODay v. Catalina

A friend of mine, who used to race Catalina 22's and 25's, was the deciding vote in my purchase of the ODay 22. She told me they were the only boats fast enough to really give her a threat. Hmmm. Sold. No sense owning a barge, right? ODs are quick, and if a Catalina owner is willing to admit that, that's something...

B

Buddy Riley

O'Day vs. Catalina

I have owned an O'Day 22, O'Day 25, and currently an O'Day 35. I have compared boats in each purchase. I have found the O'Days to be better finished, better desinged, more comfortable (larger full sized berths, larger cockpit, more comfortable cockpit seating). They are faster when sailed well. My 35 is faster than any boat in my area up to boats 45', some of which, on paper, should be faster.

B

Bob Kranyik

ODAY 31

My O'Day 31 is a 1986 model, 10,200 displacement, PHRF Western Long Island Sound, 172. A great boat - Isomat, keel stepped mast, fine grade OEM equipment, a very useful back porch. Designed by Peter Boyce at HR Hunt in Boston, it is strong (struck a rock, and boat yard owner said most boats would have had severe damage - this one did not), fast (great club racer, especially to windward, on a reach, and in heavier air. With 50 gallons of water, a great onboard shower, comfortable bunks - it is a fine cruiser for weeks at a time. A coastal cruiser, and one that is quite pretty. Also, easy access to engine and equipment for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.