O’Day Tempest Cockpit Drain Problems

Jul 16, 2024
o’day tempest 23 ottawa
Hi, I have an early I’Day Tempest with a wonky cockpit drain. When closed I have water in my bilge. When open I have water in my bilge. Basically the water from any rainfall pretty much fills my moat and her floor boards are left floating. Any idea what might be going on? I saw one ow er added a second cockpit drain in the stern. Curious.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does your cockpit self drain? What type of cockpit drain do you have? Scuppers don't usually have an open and closed position. They may have a flap to restrict flow into the cockpit but they are open to allow drainage. The drains are typically above, or close to above the waterline. I had a centerboard boat which had cockpit bailers which when open at boat speed, would drain incidental water. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, they would leak when the boat was at rest. - leading to sinking.
Finally I put fiberglass tape with epoxy over them and ended the problem. A well designed plastic container with a sharp corner did as good a job of removing incidental water and never caused concern about sinking the boat.