Oday sailboat original manufacterer ID tag or plaque.

wbliss

Apr 9, 2022
O'day 1978 O'day 23-2 Niles, MI
The transom was rebuilt and the original ID tag lost. Does anyone have an image of an original tag. I have the original ID number. I just need to recreate the tag with my manufacturer ID number.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The original HULL ID Number was molded into the transom, not sure where on the outside of the transom it was located on the 23, Technically it should be located near the starboard side, about 2" below the hull-deck joint (Gunwale/Rub Rail) and be marked in 1/4" characters. On my 1979 DS II the HIN is dead-center on the outside of transom. First pic shows where the HIN was on a 1978 O23 (can't see it, I know, but it shows location)
Second pic is an HIN from a 22 showing format, hard to read, but is is: XDYJ2380M77A, ( looks like a "tag" but the HIN was marked by sticking an embossed label onto inside of mold to leave an impression in the gel-coat)
O'DAY used same format on all models generally. (XDY = O'DAY, J = 22, 2380 is Class#, M77 = 1977 Model Year, A = August 1976, the month the boat was built)

Attachments

wbliss

Apr 9, 2022
O'day 1978 O'day 23-2 Niles, MI
That is very helpful. My boat is an Oday 23-2. I did not realize the HIN was molded in but makes sense to me. Otherwise there would be integrity issues. I knew there was only one and that it was located on the transom. And that explains why it did not get saved when the transom was rebuilt. Later it became law to have 2 of them. I had a very hard time getting my boat registered in Michigan without the HIN on the boat. That is until I found the right official who understood the old boat issue. The HIN # was in previous paperwork. I was told by a Michigan state official that I needed to create 2 of them and put them on the boat. One needs to be inside the cabin and one outside where it can easily be seen. I wanted to make it with the same words as the original. I expected it to have other words and not just the HIN number like that. So just the HIN number and nothing else. XDYT0114M78C

Attachments

Last edited: