O'Day Mariner-- Trailering, Inspection (New Sailer's Request for Help!)

Jul 13, 2023
O'Day Mariner Long Island
Looking at purchasing a '71 19.6 O'Day Mariner with the goal of trailering and storing it ~1 mile from the public launch. Realizing that if the trailering process is too involved, I'll probably end up sailing it less than I intend-- can anyone with Mariner experience give any insight whether I should have any issues as a well built 6 foot tall man getting the Mariner on and off the trailer and into the water? I've heard that the bigger concern is stepping the mast solo (a bridge I'll cross when I come to it), but I've seen little about the launch itself.

Also-- any inspection tips for a first time boat owner? I know the Mariner has concerns with the keel pin and generally to be looking out for issues in the fiberglass or general not, but any other advice would be much appreciated! The owner repainted the hull each year and restained any wood trim periodically.

The boat was built in 1971, comes with a title, a trailer and a 6HP Evinrude motor (that has a supposed 20 hours on it) and has been out of the water for 2 years-- the owner is out of state most of the year and when in state has a kayak he prefers to use. Only thing keeping it out of the water right now is the need for a fresh layer of paint-- which the owner has and will supply me with. Asking price is 2k. Seems like a decent price to me assuming it passes the eye test, but please let me know if you think I'm being had.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I had a Rhodes 19 for a few years (pretty much the same boat). I am a not so well built 6' 4" Man that didn't have to much trouble getting the mast up, boat rigged and in the water. Probably took me an hour to hour and a half. Probably could have gotten the time down if I did it more often but I kept the boat in the water. I made a support pole maybe 8' tall that went into the rudder gudgeons to hold the mast up at a bit of an angle in the back.. Then I supported the mast on my shoulder and walked it forward while I pulled in the mainsheet (which I had tied to the bow cleat and main halyard) in until it was raised. Was a little bit of a chore but I got it done, if I was stronger it would have been easier for me. My Capri 22 is much harder to raise like this, even though I had done it. So I built an A-Frame to help raise the mast and is super easy. Once the mast is raised its easy to rig the rest. easy to launch as well. I am assuming its a swing keel version? I loved the Rhodes. I think you cant go wrong at $2,000 especially if it comes with a trailer and motor.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Buy the boat. It's a great deal for 2K. Make sure the seller can sell the boat trailer and then ask if you can leave the boat in place until you can take a couple lessons before you move it to a new parking place. If you do that then lessons have already begun and you can turn around and sell it for the same price without monetary loss. If there really is a place near the launch about a mile away and not over a freeway you can move the boat to that location. You will then be ready to take a lesson on boat launching by going to the nearest boat ramp and watching how they do it. (with or without mast is about the same except for overhead wires that is) Show up early in the day you'll have to go until about noon in order to get a sense of the process. If you go very early you will see how simple it is to launch by even a lone boater and you can use those methods as examples for the future. Keep in mind that sailboats are slightly different the average powerboat in that they are normally floated on and off their trailer rather than being slid off and on. Your boat will not slide unless you don't want it to as you will see from lessons later in the day. As you're learning progresses you may be inclined to offer assistance, don't. However if standing there someone asked you to help then you simply say OK what am I suppose to do then repeat back the instructions just in case you misunderstood. That is a lesson I've learned from other sailors however it doesn't always work for me because I am also a backseat driver sometimes.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
can anyone with Mariner experience give any insight whether I should have any issues as a well built 6 foot tall man getting the Mariner on and off the trailer and into the water? I've heard that the bigger concern is stepping the mast solo (a bridge I'll cross when I come to it), but I've seen little about the launch itself.
The Mariner is an awesome sailboat. You won't have any problems launching or raising the mast. A lot of Mariner owners build gin pole systems to assist, but at six feet tall and 60 years old, I have not had any issues. I would caution you about two things. Close your hatch or you might forget and step in, and make sure there are not power lines over head. If you raise the mast on the trailer, make sure there are no power liines between the boat and the water. You wouldn't be the first to accidentally hit power lines with your mast if you forget to assess the launch site properly.

As the VP of Communications for the Mariner Class Association, I recommend joining. We are an active group and there is a lot of great help, information and activity going on around this amazing little cruiser.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0DMTnQ_BzRSoKtsx2ytBhi

Also-- any inspection tips for a first time boat owner? I know the Mariner has concerns with the keel pin and generally to be looking out for issues in the fiberglass or general not, but any other advice would be much appreciated! The owner repainted the hull each year and restained any wood trim periodically.
The 71' CB +2 is a great version. I have the '73. They sit low on the trailer so they are much easier to launch and retrieve than similar sized boats with a stub keel, but you want, ideally, to have support for the cast iron centerboard. If you don't have to, it is good not to rely on the lift cable or a stowage pin.

The pivot pin is pretty sturdy one inch bronze, but mine is slightly bent. The most common issues with older Mariners are the rusted and pitted cast iron centerboard itself and the cockpit scuppers. You may also find saturated floatation foam, a rotting compression post footing, leaking deck/hull seam, soft spots in the glass, and cracks at the forward base of the CB trunk. None of these problems are difficult to address. A rusted CB can swell and get stuck in the trunk, and it can be hard to find a replacement.

Stuart Marine in Rockland ME. is still building Mariners, but they have replaced the cast iron design with a much lighter composite CB. The MCA has made a deal with an Amish foundry to reproduce the O'Day CB, but they are not cheap.

Good luck, fair winds, and it still be good to welcome you into the Mariner community.

-Will (VP-Com, MCA, Dragonfly hull# 2632)