O'Day 34 rudder replacement

Feb 4, 2020
O'Day 31 Long Island
I have the opportunity to buy a 1981 O'Day 34 that looks to be in good shape except for a cracked rudder. I know I can get a new rudder for around 2k. Does anyone have any idea how much labor is involved or how involved a do it yourself repair it would be? Thanks

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It might help to tell us where the crack is and other such info. Maybe a picture or two.... but without an actual physical inspection it could be difficult to make an accurate assessment. My personal feeling is that just about any rudder can be repaired.... but 2K might be reasonable if it gives you peace of mind. Good Luck.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I replaced my rudder last year, you can do it all yourself if you don't mind crawling around small spaces (a helper is recommended for re-assembly). I ran into a pin that I couldn't remove but otherwise pretty straightforward. If you have the room to drop the rudder, it should only take about an hour or two to get the rudder off and the same to put it all back together. I removed the starboard lazarette liner and gained access through there. I didn't remove the port side lazarette liner because I didn't want to mess with the propane solenoid etc. but would that definitely make the job easier. I was able to reach the port side bolts through the main cockpit locker, going underneath the liner. Put a hydraulic jack underneath the rudder and provide a bit of lift before disassembling the quadrant etc. Then you can just lower the rudder down slowly.
Dig a hole under the rudder or have the boat blocked up high enough - in my case (asphalt), the yard just lifted up the stern of the boat to remove the rudder and replace it, I did all the other work. Here's a picture of what the quadrant looks like - you only need to remove the bolts with the circles (they are on the other side as well):

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
My opinion is that you cannot repair that rudder. Mine looked somewhat similar and the shell had separated from the foam for about three square feet. Any surface repairs are not going to fix the problem and more than likely the "flag" that provides the leverage to the rudder stock is compromised as it is made of mild steel. Rudders can be properly re--built - I watched this video on how to re-foam a rudder and thought it looked do-able:

He makes it look easy. In my case, tying to separate the fiberglass shell from the foam where it hadn't already detached is difficult and required chiselling. Then, the foam is like concrete and also needed to be chiseled out - there's no way I could see getting it all out of there, especially from behind the rudder stock. New rudder was the way to go. Foss Foam.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Or you could build a mold and new shell from scratch -
. Not a trivial level of effort.

Feb 6, 2020
O'Day 34 NY
Well, I bought this boat. Took a grinder and ground back the glass, then reglassed and faired the rudder. It cost me about a $100 in supplies but took spent a few weeks working in it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well, I bought this boat. Took a grinder and ground back the glass, then reglassed and faired the rudder. It cost me about a $100 in supplies but took spent a few weeks working in it.
I hope you got all of the water out, and that the stock and frame were not too badly corroded from exposure before you fixed the glass.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
They key with rudder cracks is how much water and how long has it been in there. Most
Likely has a Ss grid inside attached to the post and when that goes the rudder is useless. I would start by drilling some holes in the bottom and side and see if water comes out. Then I would grind back the rudder following the cracks. I did this last spring to a crack in mine. Turned out it was only surface though.... no water. I ground it out and glassed it. We will see in a couple of weeks how it faired.

also for ofay, don’t forget to call Rudy at d and r marine. He may have on in stock.

good luck
Greg