Oday 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2007
compac 27 Orange Beach
need to know everything that anyone can tell me about an Oday 31 pros and cons, have found one that I am interested in..also a Hunter 31 and a Irwin 31
thanks

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
And what year are the others

What year are the other choices. All other things being equal, if the Hunter is one of the Cherubinis, that would have to be at the top of my list.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
What year are the other choices. All other things being equal, if the Hunter is one of the Cherubinis, that would have to be at the top of my list.
Here's the answer

that Hunter produced Cherubini Designs
Taken from the hunterowners website

by J Cherubini II on 9/5/07

John Cherubini designs
The first boat my dad designed for Hunter (getting the contract through Bob Seidelmann) was the H-25, what I call on here the 'Mk 1', in 1972. The boat was produced for the '73 model year. (Mine is a '74. It was built in Marlboro, NJ, and sold by Sails Aweigh in Mantoloking, about 35 miles from where I found and bought it.)

There followed, in this order, the 30 in '73, the 27, in '74, the 33, the 37, then the 35 and 36 (essentially both stretched 33s), the 54 in '78-79. The 25 and some others went through redesign by the time my dad was busier with the C-44 and C-48 for Cherubini Boat (and the Raider 33 later). You will note that the hull of the 25 looks pretty dated with its narrow IOR-flavored transom by the time of the new (raised)deck mold, about '77 or '78.

By '81 my father was very ill and Hunter, through the influence of Warren Luhrs and Lars Bergstrom, sought other design ideas. The first non-Cherubini new Hunter model was the 31, in '82. It was designed by Cort Steck (who was about my age. I called him 'the whippersnapper'). By '83, when my dad died, there were all-new Hunter models coming out, eventually attributed to the 'Hunter Design Team'-- much more heavily influenced by marketing than my dad's designs ever were) and the once-lowly, now-stalwart 27 was the last Cherubini design produced by Hunter. I would very much like to know who has the highest-HIN 27, for this representes the very LAST Cherubini-designed hull to have been built by Hunter Marine.
2007 Hunter 49

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
If it was me......I'm a big fan of Oday but Hunter is a nice boat too and I know nothing about Irwin so If I was in your position I would make a list of pro and cons starting with hull condition and engine hrs down to equipment on board

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello John, We owned an Irwin 31 Citation of that vintage. Great light air sailing! Too tender for the comfort level of my wife at that stage of her sailing abilities. We recently owned an Oday 30 which was a boat that we both loved and sailed extensively in Florida. Her sailing skills and my skills both improved. I felt the Oday was a much more sturdy boat. Our vote: the Oday.....given similar repair/maintenance of all three vessels. (I wish we were faced with that decision.)

Feb 3, 2007
compac 27 Orange Beach
I have been leaning toward the Oday, but it is a fin keel with a 5'3" draft which is probably to much for my sailing area...but dang I like the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.