O'Day 28

Jul 8, 2021
O'DAY,PEARSON 33 Lisbon
Hello,
I am seeing a potential trade for an O'Day 28.
I already read some reviews but I would like to have Your opinion if it is an offshore boat and what main items I should consider looking carefully for structure damages when I visit the boat. Thanks in advance, Paul

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I don't consider the 28 or my 35 offshore boats - they are coastal cruisers. Structurally, they are solid if cared for, however deck leaks as Mayhem says can be a significant problem - you will need moisture readings of the entire deck. The good news is that water migrates slowly through the balsa core. Check all the usual stuff: keel, chain plates, rudder, standing rigging etc.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You might not notice soaked wood by stepping on it with your feet. I found the foredeck balsa totally wet and destroyed on my 25 during a rebedding project. Even knowing that, I still can't feel it by stepping on the area. Use a moisture meter or better yet, ask the owner if you can remove a deck fitting. Just be prepared to reseal it. I'd suggest using BedIT

Jul 8, 2021
O'DAY,PEARSON 33 Lisbon
Hello,
I am seeing a potential trade for an O'Day 28.
I already read some reviews but I would like to have Your opinion if it is an offshore boat and what main items I should consider looking carefully for structure damages when I visit the boat. Thanks in advance, Paul
Thanks a lot for your answers. I will check leaks for entire boat. Thanks again, Paul

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I have enjoyed my 79 ODay28. Sails upwind well, but wide beam feels sliw iff the wind. Shrouds on this boat have been solid. There is only deck support for the forward lowers, so look for deck cracks. I had soft spot coach roof at mast partner, so any penetration needs ti be sealed, and condition is primarily a function of P.O. maintenance.