O'Day 28 wheel and binacle.

Jun 20, 2014
Oday 28 2 Bay City
I'm dreaming of replacing my tiller with a wheel. I know there is a lot involved, but hoping someone can take the edge off with some salvage parts.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I know you didn't ask for opinions but am curious why you would want a wheel on a 28 foot boat. I wish I had a tiller on my 31.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
i have a wheel, binnacle, with engine controls, compass, table quadrant, cables etc. Decided against changing because of the work involved. Start with exploring your rudder stock and tube: mine was fully encased to the deck. Changing to a wheel would require cutting that apart to make way for quadrant. That then requires a couple additional bearings and reinforcement to the rudder tube below the quadrant.

Then of course cutting the cockpit floor, mounting the binnacle with turning blocks, and so on. Not an easy job, but if the motivation is there, the cockpit of the O28 was setup for having a wheel. Let us know which way you decide. Hit me up for parts: in northern, MI

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Major strutural changes and time with no big improvement. Better feel with tiller. Better to spend that time sailing or trade for 28 with factory wheel imho.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
And.... you'll spend way more for an auto pilot. Some sailors have a notion that wheel steering makes the boat look more expensive or serious.... but the truth is that a poorly conceived and executed wheel conversion will detract from the yacht's aesthetic. So, even though the mechanical advantage wheel steering offers is unnecessary for sailboats under 30ft, a smartly designed helm with a sensibly sized wheel can present an attractive cosmetic to many existing and aspiring boat owners.

Far be it from me or anyone else to question your motivation to make a wheel conversion on your 28 footer; it's really your boat, your choice (ref Stu):) But my point is that cobbling together some mis matched parts and making awkward modifications to your cockpit may have a negative effect on performance, function, appearance..... and value! If you're going to do it... do it right... make the necessary cockpit mods, make sure the under deck engineering is "to code" and don't skimp on the hardware. The last thing you want is for the DIY conversion to look like it's home made. Good look... I mean that.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
making awkward modifications to your cockpit may have a negative effect on performance, function, appearance..... and value!
:plus:

@Joe has summarized my thoughts on this query... This is not a "simple throw a wheel on the boat" DIY project. You would be better off (at least financially and frustration level wise) to find a person that wants your O'Day 28 with tiller, and then buy a boat that was designed and built with wheel steering.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I'm dreaming of replacing my tiller with a wheel.............I know there is a lot involved, but hoping someone can take the edge off with some salvage parts........
That is an expensive conversion..........why not sell the boat and purchase one with a wheel?

Jun 20, 2014
Oday 28 2 Bay City
That is an expensive conversion..........why not sell the boat and purchase one with a wheel?
Thanks for posting. I don't want a different boat, but the good sense and logic in these comments are showing me the error of my ways.

Take care

Jun 20, 2014
Oday 28 2 Bay City
i have a wheel, binnacle, with engine controls, compass, table quadrant, cables etc. Decided against changing because of the work involved. Start with exploring your rudder stock and tube: mine was fully encased to the deck. Changing to a wheel would require cutting that apart to make way for quadrant. That then requires a couple additional bearings and reinforcement to the rudder tube below the quadrant.

Then of course cutting the cockpit floor, mounting the binnacle with turning blocks, and so on. Not an easy job, but if the motivation is there, the cockpit of the O28 was setup for having a wheel. Let us know which way you decide. Hit me up for parts: in northern, MI
My rudder tube is fully encased too. It looks like opening that up would invite a real catastrophe. I've done major renovations on stuff before, and have seen both good and bad outcomes. The potential for trouble has me re-thinking the project.
Thanks for the excellent post. I will definitely look you up for parts.

Take care