Oday 28 Off-Shore Characteristics

• Thread starter Bill (Bahama Bill ) Kingsbury
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill (Bahama Bill ) Kingsbury

I have sailed my Oday 28 offshore to the Bahamas and back. We had winds up to about 30kn. With double reefed main and a 70% jib, she handled it pretty well. I have little experience with other boats of the same size, but I think she is rather dry and handles very well. I wonder if others have had such experiences and would like to know if this boat has a bad habit under certain conditions that I should know about. I am planning another trip this summer. Besides the 70% jib, I have a 100, 130, and a cruising spinnaker. She has Navik vane stering and an auto-pilot. I have recently installed a new Westerbeke 12 horse power, twin diesel, and love it. If you have a similar boat and experiences, let's chat.

L

lnranch

O'Day 28

I also have a O'Day 28 and I moved it to Marathon Fl last fall from Dallas (By Myself a story in it's self). I have sailed it all winter in the Keys with the same results you have. The only problem with the boat is that it is under powered. The 11 hp is just not enough against a large sea. It is a "true" sail boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.