O'day 28 Needs a New Transducer (Airmar P79?)

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
The boat is in and when doing my initial inspection, I noticed a buildup of water in the under-engine pan. I cleaned and dried the area but the next day, a small amount of water had returned. A close examination indicates that the transducer plywood backing plate is rotted and weeping. To add insult to injury, the plywood is sandwiched between the hull and an aluminum engine bearer. I'd like to meet the idiot who thought that up!! as a short-term fix, I covered the area you see in the images with some water curable epoxy. This has reduce the ingress by about 99% and of course will get me through the season.

This seems like a good time to not only replace it, but to relocate it up forward (where it should've been in the first place) and replace the Datamarine wind instruments as well. I have a Raymarine Axiom 7 chartplotter and saw a NAVPOD setup with for this plotter and two instruments. Therefore, I am contemplating getting an i50 Depth Instrument with P79 transducer. Has anyone used this combination before? On the other side of the pod will be an i60 wind instrument. After talking with a number of people, I have decided to forgo the "paddlewheel" speed log and just use SOG from the plotter. For the type of sailing I do, this will be sufficient and the thru-hull will still be there should I decide otherwise later.

Any input or advice will be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On our 85 the OEM transducers were under the forward part of the starboard settee. That was a pretty good place in terms of accessibility. We later added a chartplotter and just bedded the transducer that came with it in silicone behind the engine. It worked fine shooting through the hull there.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
On our 85 the OEM transducers were under the forward part of the starboard settee. That was a pretty good place in terms of accessibility. We later added a chartplotter and just bedded the transducer that came with it in silicone behind the engine. It worked fine shooting through the hull there.
Agreed regarding accessibility. However, I'm not sure it it should be next to the keel. Opposite of the blackwater discharge valve under the v-berth would be as easy and be well forward of the keel.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Have you thought about installing one that shoots through the hull, eliminating any holes. This year I installed a P49 and hooked it up to my Garmin 74DV. The P49 Airmar comes with a cup that allows you to install it in an area that might be on an incline up to 22 degrees. My P49 had eight pins, so to hook it up to my 74DV, I needed a converter cable 8 pin to four pin. I bought it online through the GPS store. Not sure if Airmar cable can go into the back of the Raymarine Axiom, you might need a converter box. Check with the GPS Store customer service. They are very willing to help. My disclaimer is NFI.