O'day 28 Forward Lower Chainplates

sail16

Jun 12, 2019
Helms 24 Lake Murray, SC
I have recently noticed water coming out of both forward lower plates on the deck. I also have raised areas around the plates where I believe the backing plates are glassed into the deck. I am concerned about moisture in the deck core and the raised area. Have any other 28 owners had problems in this area?
Thanks,
G

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our 28 had some signs of lifting around those backing plates as well, although no real signs of moisture. You may need to do some surgery to replace that section of core of it’s gotten wet.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I used a mixture of techniques to address my chainplates during my mast refit.

The first part, with the mast removed, I cleaned out the holes through the deck and filled the voids with epoxy as shown in this link.

I used a dermel tool to cut and clean up the excess glass and reform the thru deck holes for the chainplates.

I then beveled the outer deck opening around the chainplates. I then placed the chainplates into the holes attaching them to the interior bulkheads. I filled the beveled space around the plates with butyl tape. Pressing it downs and around the chainplates. I then compressed the covers down on the plates screwing the covers down and observing the butyl ooze out. This sealed the opening of the chainplates through the deck. The Bed-it butyl has good adhesion and flexion properties. To date no leaks. Note that there is nothing sealing the insides of the through deck hole. So if there ever is a leak it will be obvious. Because the epoxy filler filled the space of the core, there is less chance for water to get into the core.

Stopping future leaks would be just a clean out and refill of the butyl plug.