O'day 27 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Murray

Hello, I hope someone will be able to answer some questions about an O'day 27 I may purchase. The boat is a 1976 or 1977. It has been sitting on stands at a dealer for several years. The asking price is much too high, but I am hoping they will lower it to get it out of the yard. First off, no one knows how old the rigging is. Has anyone re-rigged one of these boats? If so, how much is it likely to cost? I have heard about a dye that will test fittings. Has anyone experience with using it? The boat has an atomic 4 inboard gasoline engine. Are there still parts for these engines? Is it really safe to have gasoline aboard? The sails are there, but really need replacement. Any ideas on cost or suppliers? Are there any specific things I should check to potentially rule out this boat before spend the money on a survey? Peter

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

27 Questions

Peter, A good rule of thumb with rigging, is a 6 to 10 year life expectancy. The warmer the water the boat is sailed in the faster the fittings corrode and the sooner the rig must be replaced. In Mass, you might get longer from a set of wires, but you do not know if the boat spent part of its life in warmer climes, or if it was raced. In that case, all bets are off. In any event, I would argue that the prudent course is to replace the wires immediately. This adds to the up front cost of the boat, but could save you from disaster. Unless there was more than one configuration, the O'day 27 has eight wires. Fore and Back stays, two upper shrouds, four lowers. Figure 50 to 75 dollars per wire from a large rigger, closer to 100 dollars from a small outfit. If you cannot stomach doing it all at once, replace the uppers this year and lowers next year. The uppers carry a lot more force. Even at 500 -700 dollars, a new rig is cheap insurance. I lost the mast on a 420 once, a boat with a lot less tension in the rig, and it was not something you want to be near. Having said all that, Rig Check is the dye product you asked after, and it can be used to identify potentially damaged wire. It works by a having a dye seep into any cracks in the fittings. The cracks are then highlighted. The problem is that while the product can identify affirmatively bad wires, it cannot indentify unqualified good wires, as cracks in the fittings can be enough to cause a wire to fail without having yet cracked through to the outside. Again, I would replace at least the uppers, and preferably all the rigging. As to the Atomic Four. These can be great engines if you set them up and maintain them properly. Search the web, you will find several shops specializing in keeping them running. I've been told that some of the most necessary parts are still in limited production, though I haven't spoken with any of the providers in question. Gasoline can be safe if you maintain the lines, have a suitable bilge blower, and use it. Sails varry in price. You can probably find a serviceable set for $500. Or you can spend as much as you want. You might want to hold off until we are able to offer the appropriate sails through our emporium. As to general things to look for - Fibreglass boats are infinitely fixable. It simply a matter of how much time, effort and money you are willing to throw at it. If the decks are solid and hull does not show major signs of a crash, and if this boat is otherwise the one you want, all else can be fixed. Good Luck! Justin - O'day Owner's Web

S

Sarah Del Molino

Do at least the uppers!!

Peter, While the cost of replacement standing rigging can be daunting. It is well worth the investment. Remember, the first year is the worst costwise. SdM

Status
Not open for further replies.