Oday 26 headroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2010
MacGregor 25 Angostura
What is the official measurement for headroom on the O'Day 26 (underneath the hatch)? How is the tenderness with the shoal keel/centerboard?

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
Headroom is 5'11"
I would say moderately tender, reef the main and have a blast. We have hank on jibs, and with the working jib, and a reefed main, 20 knots is ok. We have been out in ~30 knots with a storm jib and the main reefed and we able to enjoy it.

Jan 25, 2010
MacGregor 25 Angostura
Thank you very much! I'm comparing the O'Day 26 with a Catalina 25 swing keel and trying to decide which to purchase. Knowing your bias, do you have any advice?

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
I really no nothing about the Catalina. When we bought ours, one of the things we looked at was interior layout. With our budget, the boat we found we felt gave us the most bang for the buck. I must add though, that we had bias toward O'Day to begin with.

Jan 25, 2010
MacGregor 25 Angostura
I think the O'Day 26 is one of the best-designed boats in this size. It's too bad they didn't make more of them. It has great lines and a spacious cabin not to mention it's well thought- out functionality. My only real concern at this point is its tenderness. I have a MAC25 swing keel right now and it's far too tender for my family's tastes (I have to start reefing around 15. The Catalina swing keel has more weight lower in the water than the O'Day but it's still a swing keel which can't be as good as the fin keel for stability. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
Oday 26..vs....Catalina head room

I have had both the Catalina 25 (1984) fin keel and I currently own an Oday26 (1985). I am 5'10.5" and I could NOT stand up in either boat. I do like the ODAY much better then the Catalina. The Oday sails really good and the cockpit is more comfortable. My Cat was a fin keel and the ODAY is a shoul draft with a board, I can get closer to the islands with the Oday, and the Oday is easier to trailer and launch. Part are available for both and I think the resale value of the Oday is better. The Cat should cost less money to start with. I hope this helps.

Mar 21, 2008
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Re: Oday 26..vs....Catalina head room

Going on 6 years with my Oday 25. I don't think it's that tender. I had a swing keel before and prefer the center board ,shoal draft arrangement. I'm 6'2" and yes I have to duck down in the cabin. I've spent as much as a week on board and thought there was more than enough room . THe Oday is heavier in almost all ways than the Catalina. The mast and rudder and stuff like that. We sail Lake Michigan and have yet to feel like we were ever in over our heads. The Oday moves through 3 to 4 foot waves instead of bouncing over them. Very nice ride ,

Jan 22, 2009
Oday 26 Cherokee Lake
Working on my 7th year with my Oday 26, I am 5'10 and can stand up comfortably in the area of the hatch. Have to stoop over the further foreward I go. Twenty knots easy. My Oday looks better than any boat of any manufactor of the same age..

Status
Not open for further replies.