Oday 25 single handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

S. Blake

I am looking at owning a 25 in the not distant future. How is the 25's single handling abilities? Thanks. Stephen

J

Jon

not a problem

Stephen, Not a problem if you have had some sailing experience. I sail my 25 on the Gulf of Mexico, and most of the time single-handed. I initially just used a tiller tamer which can be tricky if there's a significant breeze/seas. I've found the autopilot to be a great asset - well worth the $400. I've got the Raytheon tiller pilot (ST1000) which works great and was easy to install myself! Would think twice about going out on the Gulf without it now! Good luck. I'll e-mail you a picture of my tiller pilot as it looks installed with the appropriate bracket if you're interested. Jon "Knot Home"

D

Don Evans

No Different Than Any Boat IMHO If...

...you set her up with single handling in mind. Jon's recommendation of a tiller pilot is a great asset (on a large body of water I'd have one too), but if you only want a few moments away from the tiller, a tamer of some sort can easily and cheaply be added. Adding blocks to your running rigging (halyards, downhauls, reefing lines etc.)to bring the sail handling lines back to the cockpit is essential. The addition of a roller/furler to your jib while not essential, greatly adds to your ability to control sail shape and size safely from the safety of the cockpit. As far as safety, don't forget to add a jackline and harness to tether yourself to the boat. Add a boarding ladder that can be rigged to deploy from the water so that you can get back on if you fall over (shouldn't be an issue if your tethered to the boat). Some sailors drag a floating line behind them to grab onto too, although theres debate on its usefullness. Inducing a bit of weatherhelm in the rudder could also be beneficial to help stall the boat (roundup) if you fall overboard too. Certainly nothing wrong with solo sailing if you consider the consequenses and set up your boat accordingly. Don

J

jim d.

single handed

I sail my oday 25 single handed quite often without much problem. I added blocks at the base of the mast and brought the halyards back to the cockpit. There is not much room for winches on the cabin top but I have guides so I use the side cockpit winches, this way all sail handling is done standing at the tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.