Oday 25 Portlight Forensics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
RAD said:
Be careful if you decide to do the whole operation cause when I pulled mine for the rebed I looked to see if I could pull the frame out of the glass and it didn't look to promising.....plastic looked very brittle
maybe next year for the rOnDAYvous.....there's a whole bunch coming from your next of the woods and we do have a great time.....stay tuned for the after party pics
Be careful for sure. I intend to get a scrap piece of plexiglass and do a dry run of drilling and screwing that stuff before I touch the real thing. I have two new precut plexiglass ports from Rudy still in the shipping container. They do not come pre drilled.

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Plexiglass ports

Be careful for sure. I intend to get a scrap piece of plexiglass and do a dry run of drilling and screwing that stuff before I touch the real thing. I have two new precut plexiglass ports from Rudy still in the shipping container. They do not come pre drilled.
Did you get an OEM replacement port from Rudy or did he cut frameless plexiglass ports to your dimensions?

Oct 2, 2008
Mad Dog said:
Did you get an OEM replacement port from Rudy or did he cut frameless plexiglass ports to your dimensions?
The oem I guess. It was the precut plexiglass for the 26. The starboard glass is cracked and leaks a little, but not yet enough to bother me int action

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Update on leaky portlights

Okay, so a little follow-up on this leaky port problem. This past weekend the Admiral and I went hunting for the leaks. Used a garden hose and started down by the rub rail and worked my way up. I found two leaks:

- On the port side, water is entering between the window trim and interior bulkhead. Makes me think the exterior trim to bulkhead joint is the entry point.
- On the starboard side, water is slowly seeping in at the joint between the plexiglass and trim. Sounds like the exterior plexi to trim joint is the entry point.

What do you guys think? Do my assumptions seem reasonable? And can I use 795 to caulk these joints in place without rebedding? I'd like to buy me some time before I absolutely have to replace. Should I caulk from inside/outside/both?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Oct 2, 2008
Mad Dog said:
Okay, so a little follow-up on this leaky port problem. This past weekend the Admiral and I went hunting for the leaks. Used a garden hose and started down by the rub rail and worked my way up. I found two leaks:

- On the port side, water is entering between the window trim and interior bulkhead. Makes me think the exterior trim to bulkhead joint is the entry point.
- On the starboard side, water is slowly seeping in at the joint between the plexiglass and trim. Sounds like the exterior plexi to trim joint is the entry point.

What do you guys think? Do my assumptions seem reasonable? And can I use 795 to caulk these joints in place without rebedding? I'd like to buy me some time before I absolutely have to replace. Should I caulk from inside/outside/both?

Thanks for the help.

Matt
In my bit of experience, u must remove the port, component, or whatever, then properly clean, repair ( which includes soft core, beveling screw holes, and all that), prep your surface, then reattach said component. Anything else is just a waste of time and money. Unless u r looking to waste time and money. Then it is ok to just put a bunch of ( fill in the gook of your choice) on it.

Attachments

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Fair enough but....

In my bit of experience, u must remove the port, component, or whatever, then properly clean, repair ( which includes soft core, beveling screw holes, and all that), prep your surface, then reattach said component. Anything else is just a waste of time and money. Unless u r looking to waste time and money. Then it is ok to just put a bunch of ( fill in the gook of your choice) on it.
I am also concerned that if I try to pull out and rebed the ports, they may crack (I think they're original to the boat - 1976). Knowing that I'll have to replace very soon, I'm trying to buy myself a few months of dry(er) sailing until I can replace the ports over the winter.

Matt

Oct 2, 2008
Mad Dog said:
I am also concerned that if I try to pull out and rebed the ports, they may crack (I think they're original to the boat - 1976). Knowing that I'll have to replace very soon, I'm trying to buy myself a few months of dry(er) sailing until I can replace the ports over the winter.

Matt
Well then try this. Prep your surface with alcohol or acetone, the try carefully applied white duct tap to the outside e. Just along top and sides. Not bottom. Trim off excess. Should buy you a month. R u talking about your opening ports? If so, consider new found metals ports.

Attachments

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Well then try this. Prep your surface with alcohol or acetone, the try carefully applied white duct tap to the outside e. Just along top and sides. Not bottom. Trim off excess. Should buy you a month. R u talking about your opening ports? If so, consider new found metals ports.
Thanks - I'll try that. These are just the fixed ports. If I understand Rudy correctly, the plexi and trim are manufactured as one piece, so even if I took out the port and rebedded properly, I wouldn't solve the leak here until I replaced it. Thus the attempt to caulk as a temporary patch until I replace.

Matt

Oct 2, 2008
Mad Dog said:
Thanks - I'll try that. These are just the fixed ports. If I understand Rudy correctly, the plexi and trim are manufactured as one piece, so even if I took out the port and rebedded properly, I wouldn't solve the leak here until I replaced it. Thus the attempt to caulk as a temporary patch until I replace.

Matt
Hmm, the plexiglass and trim r one piece? R u sure? Can anyone else comment on this?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.

Matt
Matt,

Don't use Acetone on Plexiglas!!!

Oct 2, 2008
Trinkka said:
Matt,

Don't use Acetone on Plexiglas!!!
Oops. For sure. I meant the gell coat. Thanks again Joe. Alcohol would bee all u need. Reason for tape? Cheap, flexible and usually readily available. A bead of life caulk would be better. But could still leak anyway. Best is to do the job the right way as soon as u can

Oct 2, 2008
emergpa1 said:
Hmm, the plexiglass and trim r one piece? R u sure? Can anyone else comment on this?
My plexiglass came from Rudy as just the plexiglass sheets. Precut but not predrilled.

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
My plexiglass came from Rudy as just the plexiglass sheets. Precut but not predrilled.
Plexi sheets with no trim? Interesting....... I asked Rudy about that, and he said he only carried the OEM portlights, which were sold as an entire window kit (plexi, exterior trim, interior trim). That's also when he told me it wasn't possible to remove the plexi from the trim ring.

Looks like the Oday 26 ports are a different design. On my 25, I have two pairs of fixed main salon ports.

Matt

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Plexi sheets with no trim? Interesting....... I asked Rudy about that, and he said he only carried the OEM portlights, which were sold as an entire window kit (plexi, exterior trim, interior trim). That's also when he told me it wasn't possible to remove the plexi from the trim ring.

Looks like the Oday 26 ports are a different design. On my 25, I have two pairs of fixed main salon ports.

Matt
I rebuilt a plastic Gray Marine forward hatch on my boat several years ago with a used hatch that I bought off Rudy. I was able to remove the lens from each hatch by using a heated putty knife. I had replaced the lens on my original hatch with piece of Lexan and I had glued it in the frame with Devcon plastic epoxy. I was able to remove it from my hatch cover by using a blow torch on the putty knife blade. I also used a heat lamp bulb. I was able to make one good hatch out of the two. The hatch I bought of Rudy had a small crack in it and the lens was thinner than the one I installed my hatch. This is why I removed both lens from the hatches. My hatch cover had broken dog latches. Heat will remove anything if it's applied right. Give it a shot and let me know how you make out.
Joe

Oct 2, 2008
Trinkka said:
I rebuilt a plastic Gray Marine forward hatch on my boat several years ago with a used hatch that I bought off Rudy. I was able to remove the lens from each hatch by using a heated putty knife. I had replaced the lens on my original hatch with piece of Lexan and I had glued it in the frame with Devcon plastic epoxy. I was able to remove it from my hatch cover by using a blow torch on the putty knife blade. I also used a heat lamp bulb. I was able to make one good hatch out of the two. The hatch I bought of Rudy had a small crack in it and the lens was thinner than the one I installed my hatch. This is why I removed both lens from the hatches. My hatch cover had broken dog latches. Heat will remove anything if it's applied right. Give it a shot and let me know how you make out.
Joe
Must be. Here's what I got foe my fixed ports. Non trim ring.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Mad Dog said:

Matt
Must be. Here is what I got. No trim ring.

Attachments

Oct 20, 2008
Oday 222 USA
I removed my original 222 side windows and rebedded. No leaks now. Process was as follows: 1) carefully and slowly remove windows- using flat prybars/ flat scrapers. I used a series of flat tools to gently lift seal and slowly progress around window frame. I didn't use heat as Trinkka suggested- but had I thought of that I would have, great idea. 2) clean up gelcoat, Mark center of each screw hole, then overdrill, epoxy and redrill screw holes 3) clean off old caulk and foam bead from window. 4) center window on opening by hanging on two of the window screws. 5) with window centered, tape surrounding area using 2 inch or wider masking tape 6) remove window and place foam bead on gelcoat around circumference of window opening 7) I used BLACK Dow 795 (one tube per side ) and caulked the space between foam bead and the outside edge of the window 8) insert screws around window and tighten 80 percent 8) use a putty knife or similar and remove excess Dow 795 that is squished out. 9) after Dow cures, gently tighten screws (not too tight or you will crack window)

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I plan to caulk inside and out with Dow 795 and see if that buys me a month or two. If not, I'll just have to pull up my portlight replacement schedule by a few months! I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
If I might add, the trick to drilling plastic sheet is to use a somewhat DULL drill bit. The idea is to kind of melt your way through. Using a new sharp one will cause it to GRAB the plastic, and crack it, especially near an edge.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
If I might add, the trick to drilling plastic sheet is to use a somewhat DULL drill bit. The idea is to kind of melt your way through. Using a new sharp one will cause it to GRAB the plastic, and crack it, especially near an edge.
That's a good one to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.