O'day 25 Centerboard Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean Feller

I have been shopping for a 25 foot boat and am thinking about the O'day. I need to be able to trailer, so the centerboard model is appealing. Does anyone have experience with the mechanism? Is it reliable? Sean

J

John Finch

c/b is just that

Sean, The O'Day 25 is one fine boat. I had one for over 10 years. The center board is just a board pulled up and sown with a penant. There is no real weight in the board. I also just sold a 17-year-old O'Day 28 that is a center board model. It is still sailing like the grand old lady she is. The person who bought her berths her right next to my C30, so I talk to him quiet frequently. I believe you will love your O'Day 25 if you get it. John Finch s/v DOXOLOGY C30

D

Don Evans

watch that penent

Sean: I had a big headache with that CB penent, when the clip holding the line to the board broke when I kissed a piece of the planet. I did not realize the penent had parted until I got to within a few feet of my slip and pulled up a very light CB. The board was fully extended vertical and had me pinned into my slip. I could not back up as the board was in the loon crap. Being scuba certified I went below and discovered the problem. I replaced the clip with a beefier SS U bolt and machine screw. The problem is getting at that clip, as you have to lift the boat off the trailer a fair way, or dive below while afloat. If you get a chance to replace the clip, relace the wire/ line penent too.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Never Heard of a Bad One

Sean, I have never heard of anyone having real trouble with the centerboard mechanism. I have not owned an O'day swing keel myself, but there are several around the mooring ground where my boats live. I have seen Catalinas sitting on the float with owners cursing the swing keels, but not O'days. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

A

Andy

CB Line

I need to replace the CB line this year. My boat uses a rope. Are others using a cable?

J

RE: CB Line

Andy, The 25's centerboard is reasonably light. Replacing your current line with new line should be fine. You will maintain the relative ease of working with it. Working with wire is a hassle. I'd avoid it if I could. Don, do you agree? Justin

D

Don Evans

it depends

Justin, if Sean's CB is the model that attaches to a small winch inside the cabin, I believe these were all wire. But if his model is like mine it is a wire to line splice (wire in the CB housing and line in the cockpit) that routs itself to the outside bridgedeck bulkhead. You want to retain this configuration for 2 reasons. Line is much easier to haul on your bare hands and belay to a cleat near the bridgedeck bulkhead, and is very handy to the helmsman. Second, the rope starts to show its age long before a wire breaks, and therefore is a much better indicator that repacement is near. In addition a SS wire is longer lived in the wet environs of a CB housing. I believe the factory got it right first time and I would replace exactly the same. Just my 2 cents worth. Take care. Don

J

I had only seen the interior type

Don, Thanks for the input. I would tend to agree with your assessment that the factory got it right for the reasons you point out, not to mention the fact that O'day did tend to get it right. I seem to be asking you all sorts of dates stuff, (see the Yngling thread) but do you know when the switchover occured? Justin

S

Sean Feller

Still looking

I'm still looking for the right boat, but I have decided that the c/b model is better for me. Anyone know where I might find one?

J

Try the site classifieds.

Sean, Try the site classifieds. There is a link from the homepage. Also, you might want to try the sailnet or yachtworld pages. When you find one, kick us the details! Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

try this source

Sean, try Mike MacIntyres'web page "O'Day Sailboats for Sale by Owner"thats at www.towerpromotions.com/Odayboats/for sale.html. There are 2 listed now,but place a "wanted ad" for free.Also join the listserver for O'Day boats at sailnet.com. Follow the instructions to join and put your request their.There are over 300 owners who are registered on this email server. Often a few are for sale at any one time. Great source of info also, on all things O'Day.

C

Chris Burti

classifieds

Another good online classified is boattraderonline.com

Status
Not open for further replies.