O'Day 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Daley

I looked at a very appealing O'Day 23 ('81) yesterday that has had very little wet time and is in great shape. My biggest concern (so far) is that it is on a homebuilt trailer that requires a lift to get it in the water as opposed to a float-off trailer that would allow me many more options. Two questions: 1)is the 23 a good boat (problems?), and, 2) what would a used trailer that would fit the O'Day 23 cost? Thanks in advance

M

Mike Stern

I can't help you with the trailer issue, but I have a 1979 O'Day 23 and I love the way she sails. She is fast for her size, points well, and is very manuverable. The only complaint I have is that she is tender. In a stiff breeze she heels, and doesn't seem to stiffen until about 25 degrees. This can be alarming to small children, wives and non-sailors. I would check out the deck on this boat, as mine had some very minor delamination, probably due to stresses on the mast step. Also, look carefully at the stanchions to see if there are stress cracks in the decking at the bases. If you see any, check the surrounding deck and below for any evidence of water. One more thing to check is the fit of the centerboard in the keel. I have found out the hard way that centerboards can swell and stick in the trunk. See if the centerboard swings fully up and down. If it sticks, its not necessarily a big deal, but you may have to keep it partially swung out. This is what I do. Good luck.

E

Eric

Oday 23

I recently purchased a 1980 O'Day 23, and I love it. I do not have a trailer; I have the boat lifted onto stands at a local boat yard for winter storage. If you find a trailer, let me know- I am also interested in purchasing one for local trips to Cape Cod. The boat is easy to handle single handed, and the galley is very comfortable. The centerboard works well for me, given low tide levels. Good luck!

S

Susanne Griego

23 and trailer

We have a '78 O'Day 23 and just love it. We learned to sail on it and have been impressed with how she forgives our inexperience. Ours came with a trailor but we are also shopping for a new model and have seen them for around $2K. For us, it is very imoportant to have one that makes loading and launching a piece of cake.

T

Tim Daley

Your old trailer

Susanne, Was your old trailer the float-on type? (why are you getting a new one?) and what brand or type of new trailer are you looking at? Thanks,Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.