O'day 23 through hull access

Dec 12, 2021
Cape Dory, O'Day Cape Dory 14, O'Day 23 Raritan Bay
Can someone help me figure out how to get to the through hull in the picture? I want to inspect it and/or replace it so I don't have any leaking issues near the waterline. PXL_20220327_215332016_2.jpg

PXL_20220327_215332016_2.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yikes! That's a plastic thru hull below the waterline. Maybe a previous owner installation. You might want to replace it with a bronze thru hull. Perhaps it is for a sink?

Dec 12, 2021
Yikes! That's a plastic thru hull below the waterline. Maybe a previous owner installation. You might want to replace it with a bronze thru hull. Perhaps it is for a sink?
Definitely needs to be replaced with a bronze or filled in (a new idea that just entered my mind) so there is no chances for leaks. It is for the sink which is why it is so low. A "galley" in a 23 footer is a joke if you ask me. Risking sinking a nice sailboat boat with a possible a leaky thru-hull, just to say I have a sink, makes no sense to me.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like it’s in the boot stripe above the waterline. That was standard practice for O’Day. Bronze would still be better as the nylon can degrade from UV. Sorry I don’t know how to get to it. Is there a lazarette with a removable floor or something like that there?

BruceC

Oct 6, 2008
Oday 26 So. Orleans
That is a drain for the aft starboard lazarette that is designed to be used as an ice box or cooler. the drain is above waterline, and it is unlikely that it would require replacement with a bronze fitting. The drain in my OD26 has functioned fine for 37 years. You may be able to gain access to the drain by removing the sliding gally unit and crawling aft (not sure about that one!).

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
That is a drain for the aft starboard lazarette that is designed to be used as an ice box or cooler. the drain is above waterline, and it is unlikely that it would require replacement with a bronze fitting. The drain in my OD26 has functioned fine for 37 years. You may be able to gain access to the drain by removing the sliding gally unit and crawling aft (not sure about that one!).
I understand that the thru hull would be above the waterline at rest, but when sailing, it would be below the waterline for sure. For that reason alone, I would not want a plastic thru hull.

Dec 12, 2021
I understand that the thru hull would be above the waterline at rest, but when sailing, it would be below the waterline for sure. For that reason alone, I would not want a plastic thru hull.
The cooler drains to the thru-hull in the back of the cockpit right next to the main cockpit drain so this must be for the sink.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
On my O'Day 222 the cockpit drain is in the transom. In this photo it looks like this drain would be lower than the transom. Make sure the hose connection between the drain and the cockpit is secure. I cut an 8" inspection port in the gas locker/cooler locker on the starboard side to access the motor mount. You might do that in the bottom of that locker. Yeah, on port tack, that drain is underwater.

Aug 2, 2015
Catalina 27 Lafayette Sail Club
To follow up to Bruce C.'s comment. It is the drain from the starboard lazarette. You have to be very agile and slim to get to it - dive under the cockpit sole from the stern lazarette on the port side. I chose to cut a hole in the fuel tank locker and install a screw in a 6" deck plate. Still tight, but reasonable enough to remove and fill. I still have the slide-in/out galley as a "collectible."

Dec 12, 2021
Mission accomplished. 6 inch inspection port to the rescue, bronze fitting installed. I might use the sink but the water tank will be replaced with some gallon water plastic containers unless I get a better idea down the line. FUN FACT: This hose connected to the fitting I just replaced, is currently (until I figure what to do next) plugged into the air vent fitting from for the water tank that was removed. Talking about irony.
PXL_20220416_220929595.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
When I cruise I use about a gallon of water a day. I load on 6 or so 1 gallon jugs. to start. With the gas tank, motor and battery at the stern I notice the waterline is low in the stern. I use the 5 gallon water storage tank to control the waterline balance.