O'Day 23 Main sheet running rigging

fbond

Dec 29, 2014
Oday 23 Strom Thurmond Lake
?Help!! I have recently purchased an O'Day 23. I need information on how the running rigging on the main is configured? There is no track for the main sheets. On the port side is a single pulley and cam cleat on the starbord side the is a single pulley and there is a small double block on the boom. There is a Cunningham boom vang and there are Cunningham attachments on the mast and boom and several cleats on the boom itself. Don't remember the configuration of the out haul on the mast. Also what is the function of a block attached to the front of the mast below the spreaders and two rings near the base of the mast

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
What year is your 23? All of the Oday 23's that I am familiar with have the main sheet attachment point on the backstay. I've never seen a 23 with the main attached to the hull. If you can send pictures, we might be able to help you figure it out.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Also what is the function of a block attached to the front of the mast below the spreaders and two rings near the base of the mast
Spinnaker pole topping lift and rings for spin pole.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Does this make sense? Look to see if port side block has small tab to attach line. Mainsheet forms inverted bridle - like large inverted V - runs continuous. Congrats on new boat!
ForumRunner_20141230_150109.jpg

fbond

Dec 29, 2014
Oday 23 Strom Thurmond Lake
backstay and outhaul

What year is your 23? All of the Oday 23's that I am familiar with have the main sheet attachment point on the backstay. I've never seen a 23 with the main attached to the hull. If you can send pictures, we might be able to help you figure it out.
The back-stay runs from the mast head to a ss triangle and two short stays attach from there to either side of the stern. The boom attaches to the triangle with a snap hook. The end of the boom also attaches to a double block. the port side has a line running from a cleat though a dead eye to the double block on the boom though a single block on the starboard side back through the double block to a block and cam cleat on the port side of the stern. This allows control of the boom.

The out-haul on the main sail is still a mystery there is a loose small block on the stern end of the boom a cheek block facing forward on the starboard side of the boom an eye on the port side two cleats on the starboard side and a small block at the bow end of the boom. not sure how it goes together.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Prior to about 1974, the mainsheet on the 23 was setup as shown by Lance on Cloud 9. The early 22 had the same setup. The mainsheet on the backstay was used from about 1974 and later.

Attachments

Jul 11, 2024
O'Day 23 Island Heights
It does and I could measure it. I just wondered if anyone knew. I saw to take the length of the boat times 2.5. If that is accurate I have my answer.