O'Day 23 Anchor/chain locker drain

Aug 19, 2019
O'day 23 Maine
Hi all, I'm working on fixing up an O'Day 23, and one of the first projects is fixing the anchor locker drain. It currently routes from the bottom of the locker, through a hose, and then directly forward through the stem of the bow. There isn't much of a thru-hull fitting, it was just silicone-ed to poorly mate with a plastic collar directly through the bow stem. That connection came loose, and water drained directly into the v-berth, ruining the interior as it sat for a few years before I got the boat.

My questions are:
  1. Should I relocate the drain hole from the stem to one side of the bow? That would give me a flatter surface instead of the V of the bow stem, but I'd have to patch up a hole and make a new one.
  2. Depending on Question #1's answer, what sort of thru-hull fitting would be appropriate?
Edit: Attached a picture from the outside. I failed to take a picture from inside the v-berth, oops. In the attached photo you can see the u-bolt for the trailer tie-down, and directly above that is the hole for the anchor locker drain.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
This is common with the Precision line of boats as well. Theirs are pretty much glued in place with 3M 5200. I would say just re-do it with 5200, and keep an eye on it. Precision owners report having to re-do this and chainplates between every 5-10 years. Unless you call Rudy at D&R Marine. (I was all prepared to re-fiberglass my deck overlap underneath the rubrail to deal with many holes and leaks, and Rudy talked me down from a big project and said he'd just smear 5200 in. Seems to be working. Will probably last long enough...)

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
If it's been leaking check the wood backing on that bow eye... Likes to rot out... Been meaning to change mine for a while...