O'Day 22 trim problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu Timm

I have a 22' Oday centerboard sloop with a 6hp Johnson on a bracket. The bracket is located to the starboard of the rudder. My boat has a noticable list to starboard and I have thus far been unable to balance her out. I have a starboard cockpit locket which contains a battery, docklines, and my anchor and 150' of line. I had a spare 5-gallon gas can that was in there but has since been moved to hepl balance the boat. Someone suggested using counterwieghts. I can get my hands on "pigs" of iron that are great for adjusting trim. My question is if anyone has done this to a 22' before, and what ramifications(if any)may occur. I always sail solo and I am about 175# in weight. I have the boat trimmed fairly light with basic provisions and gear on board. The port-a-potty is ashore but I keep 4 or 5 one-gallon jugs of fresh water forward under the v-berths. I can't stand seeing the weeds grow on my submerged 1 inch of waterline on my starboard side, and would sincerely appreciate any input you kind folks can offer. Thanks, Stu Timm

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

You and me both

What you are experiencing is fairily common on boats with outboard auxillaries and offset engines. My Daysailer and C25 both list badly toward the engine. On my C25, I have trimmed it out for the most part by moving gear the other side (in that case, to starboard). The daysailer I decided was better off with a list than it was with extra weight aboard. On the C25, sailing performance is compromised. EG, the heavy side of the boat is the preferred tack by a lot. On the Daysailer, it doesn't matter, once the boat is loaded with people, crew weight is way more than the engine and the boat feels balanced. On your O22, I wouldn't add pigs. The extra weight will slow you down more than the list will. I would try to balance the boat by moving whatever you can to port, even to the point of moving batteries if necessary, though. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

dillon1957@aol.com

list

do you have a fuel tank permately iinstalled on the port side? mine did, and i took it out, and put a 5gal out board tank on the staboard side. the out board is also on the starboard side (10hp 4-stroke yamaha) and i dont have any problem with a list to either side. the difference might be that i stowe all of the items i bring aboard on the port side, and where the old fuel tank was is where i stowe the extra sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.