ODay 22 Interior work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I plan on pulling the boat out of the water soon for some scheduled maintenance - hull paint for one, and I have a list of a zillion things I want to do, but I can''t afford more than one project at a time - so its interior refit time. :D

Partly for self-aggrandizing but mostly for my own personal motivation purposes I'll use this thread to post my progress.

The situation: the interior is original from 1973, considering that, it's in remarkably good shape. But there are plenty signs of wear and its not very attractive, and I don't like the current layout.

I plan on pulling out everything and replacing it with new of the same, with the exception of the main bulkhead, which I will redo in the more open style of the Oday 222.

While I have it planned out in my head pretty well I'll mostly wing it :eek: as I progress along. I've done a bit of woodworking in my day, my wife has done some upholstery, and I've seen some good ideas here and there, so we'll see what happens. The end result is quite nice in my vision of what I'm looking for in this small space.

For starters here is some before pics

And a pic of an Oday 222 interior I'm shooting for.

No doubt I'll need some advice from time to time, I'm good with roughing in not so good at finishing touches.

I expect total project time to be about 4 weeks. If everything is not done then that's OK, I can do final touch ups while the boat is in the water, but I want to get all the heavy lifting done while its in my front yard.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
That sounds like a plan to me Ken. If you have any questions on it let me know. The sink in your boat is better than the one that came in my 222 which was a molded fiberglass sink. You may want to go to a larger square stainless steel sink like I did. I saw one yesterday at a flea market for ten bucks just like mine. I bought mine on line from some large RV store in Muskogee OK for only $50.
I got rid of the stove lid on the cabinet and bought a large stainless steel shallow steam table pan to fit on top of my galley cabinet for my stove to sit on. Steam table pans can be bought at restaurant supply stores. This gave me more space under the stove of my pots and pans storage.
I would remove that bulkhead and use it for a pattern for the new bulkhead.
A friend of mine had given me about five boxes of disposable cellophane gloves and I kept them on my boat for a couple of years until the cardboard disintegrated. I was going to chuck them out and I'm glad that I didn't. They came in handy for the job of refinishing all the wood in my cabin a couple of years ago.
Don't be afraid to change the galley layout. The O'Day 222 has a good layout, but so does the O'Day 23 which I personally like better than one on my boat. Just make sure that you have good support for your mast step and that you beef up support for the side stay chain plates. Changing the interior of my cabin was very enjoyable. Plan it out and take your time. Good luck!
Joe

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Joe,

I saw some pics of your interior, very nice, if mine turns out as well I'll be very happy. I plan on leaving the layout the same, partly to preserve the original ODay 22'ness of the boat and partly so I don't have to think too hard.

The chain plates will end up beefier and I'll address some compression issues going on with the cabin top/compression post junction. I want to add 222 style backrests to the bunks which will add more storage room as well.

I was considering moving the head into the center front notch of the v-berth (assuming it will fit), under a flip up hatch, the space is used for storage now...we'll see.

I don't have a stove and I use that spot for storage, but if the under stove cabinets were setup better a stove might be in my future.

I plan on using Oak plywood, with oak trim to finish off the edges. Thankfully I have the old interior pieces to use as a patten, that would not be fun trying to get those curves right without them. I'm expecting a pretty easy time of it (famous last words).

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe,

I saw some pics of your interior, very nice, if mine turns out as well I'll be very happy. I plan on leaving the layout the same, partly to preserve the original ODay 22'ness of the boat and partly so I don't have to think too hard.

The chain plates will end up beefier and I'll address some compression issues going one with the cabin top/compression post junction. I want to add 222 style backrests to the bunks which will add more storage room as well.

I was considering moving the head into the center front notch of the v-berth (assuming it will fit), under a flip up hatch, the space is used for storage now...we'll see.

I don't have a stove and I use that spot for storage, but if the under stove cabinets were setup better a stove might be in my future.

I plan on using Oak plywood, with oak trim to finish off the edges. Thankfully I have the old interior pieces to use as a patten, that would not be fun trying to get those curves right without them. I'm expecting a pretty easy time of it (famous last words).
Ken,
The backrests or bolsters in my cabin are nothing but 1/4" plywood and solid wood. There is a molded shelf in my cabin in which these backrests sit on with the screws securing them to it. They're made pretty simple with a soft rubber backing and the material is stapled with S.S. staples.
Years ago I bought some material from a marine fabric company in Warren RI that was very similar to the material that was used on my cushions and my wife recovered the cushions and backrests. Years later, this material turned out to be not much better condition than what came with the boat. It needs to be replaced again. I'm sorry now for not buying a better grade of material even if it meant going with an entirely different color scheme or design. Here's some pics of my backrests so you can get some ideas from it.
I think oak plywood will work out great because it's not only strong, but it has a high resistance to rot. Good luck!
Joe

Attachments

Dec 19, 2010
Hunter 33 New Orleans, LA
Hey Ken, looks like we meet again :) I look forward to seeing some photos as you do a bit of changes on her interior. I just went over all my interior wood with some basic wood polish and it came out really great. So you doing the hull paint yourself or do you plan on having a yard do it? If you are using a yard, I would like to know which one and if you are satisfied with it when its done. I am planning on getting a bottom job done maybe in a couple weeks. I was going to let northshore marine do it before I relocate to the southshore harbor. I am going to be pretty busy with my boat starting in a couple weeks. I am going to use this time of the year every year to do some annual maintenance. So far, looks like I will make the cat island trip towards the end of march. Lately I been tied up showing a friend of mine how to sail his boat, he just bought a Macgregor 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.