Oday 22 bilge access

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Shaw

I really bought a '77 Oday 22 with the shoal keel. The cabin sole has been done over a couple times with nonskid. I'm wondering if there's an access panel or something under the nonskid coating. I'd like to get a look at that part of the bilge.

J

Jim

access panel

I have a 78 shoal keel and there should be a good sized access panel under there covering your bildge. The panel sits in a lip and runs almost the length of that section of the cabin.

R

R.W.Landau

funny feeling

If you decide to open the bilge, drill a small hole first to see if it is hollow. After reading your question, my first thought was that maybe the last owner glassed in some more ballast trying to change the performance. Just a thought. r.w.landau

R

Rob

Bilge access

My 73 ODay 22 stub keel had a hole about 2" in diameter in the cabin sole right about where you would step as you enter from the cockpit. There was no cap, so I installed a 4" screw-in deck plate. On my boat, the keel appears to be fully encapsulated except for an opening below this deck plate where a 1 1/2" pcv pipe extends down into the bilge to allow pumping. I'd think you would want access on your boat as well for the same reason. The lead in my keel is not solid, but what appears to be large lead shavings. This allows space for water to accumulate.

S

Sergio

Access hole

Andy, I just bought an O'day 22' also, and mine ahs a 3" hole right where I step down into the cabin. ~Sergio

A

Andy Shaw

Sergio & Rob--access hole

Sergio & Rob, Yes I have the same access hole , doesn't allow much access, but big enough for a bilge pump. I believe it was originally for a table, mine came with a table and post that fits down into it and a flange for fastening to the cabin sole. However if you put this in it would block the companionway, not a great design . Your tables may be long gone since they're not very functional. Andy

R

Rich

Andy... on that "table" hole...

The two or three inch hole just below the companionway on early 22's is for pumping, not a table. Their was a cast aluminum flange mid-way up the sole, and close to the starboard bunk. This took the table post... the table's flange was near an edge, and allowed swinging the table out of the way over the star. berth to get by. The later 22's had that very neat access hatch, with flange, that another owner described in answer to you.

A

Andy

Thanks , Rich

Thanks for the table info, Rich. I was thinking that the table by the hatch was too weird to be true, but the hole was the exact size of the table post. Probably the mounting spot for the flange is covered by that nonskid. Since I may try to remove that nonskid to expose the access panel, I'll look for evidence of where the table flange goes. This sounds like a table solution that might be do-able (and sensible). Thanks again. Andy

P

Pat Shanklin

What's in there?

Thanks for the good info. I have a 76' and have wondered how the keel/ballast system was installed. My boat has the 2" hole at the companionway and I cannot see if keel bolts were used but it sounds as if the ballast is encapsulated. If so is it glassed over? My take on the bilge access hole is for using the Beckson Thirsty-Mate and the pump-out hose went out the companioway hatch into the cockpit. I would guess that O'Day included one with the boat. I have thought of enlarging the opening to install a small electric with a float switch but the bikge has almost always been dry. I carry a "Guzzler" ($40.00 West) mounted on a board for pumping out if the occasion arises. It's a great little pump and can easily be used in other boats or dingys when neded. Glad I found this board as I have many projects in the future. Pat Shanklin... O'Day 22/Daysailer

Status
Not open for further replies.