O'Day 22/25 Rubrail Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat Shanklin

The rubrail on my 22 is badly cracked and brittle. I have looked at rubrails in West marine but I'm not sure I want to go with plastic. I have replaced a rubrail on a Catalina 25 and really like the alluminum extrusion and neutral rubber insert as well as dealing with Catalina on parts. (1) Has anyone tried this (2) Does Catalina have a customer service number (3) What are your favorite replacements for rubrails

D

Don Evans

"Original-Like" Rails Are Available

Pat, Rudy Nickerson of D&R marine in Assonet, Maine has these. His # is 508-644-3001. If you refer back to a post on replacement of the rub rail I posted some helpful hints on installing this. Others have also. Good luck. Don

P

Pat Shanklin

Yep I"ve been "Rubbed Wrong"

Well I'm sort of answering my own post but to further the discussion: Way back after Huricane Hugo, Lake Norman near Charlotte was hit pretty hard with hundreds of boats damaged and many scuttled. At that time I estimated and managed repair on dozens of boats that had extensive damage to rigging, topside, deck and toerail areas. Many of the boats required total replacement of the toerail and or rubrail. Many of the extrusions were no longer available (not Oday or Catalina) and special runs were made by Tifton of Tifton Georgia when the extrusion was no longer available. That has been many years but one thing that impressed me was the amazing responce by Catralina, whether it was for bow pulpits, stanchions, rudders or rubrails on boats that at that time were 10 to 15 years old. Also the prices for they're parts were very reasonable. The replacement of the aluminum extrusion provided by catalina was simple and straight forward. So I have this idea that I would like to replace the rubrail on my 76 Oday 22 with a Catalina product if still available and affordable. Is this a crazy idea and would Oday owners think I had abandoned ship by sporting a cool looking aluminum Catalina rubrail? Thanks for the info on Rudy's. Sounds like a great source.

D

Don Evans

If They Can Make Car Bumpers That Survive...

35 Km/h impacts, why has the marine industry not built a better defence around our boat perimeters? Something that either rebounds back into shape or if destroyed can be replaced easily. Something that looks OK, is maintenance free and cheap to buy and install. Ships of bygone eras' had solid wooden rails, bolted on, that took tremendous impacts. I would think a "fake" solid rub-strake made of polyethylene or propylene that had the wooden plank look might be the ticket. Those flimsy, rubber and aluminum rails do squat and are only there to hide the joint screws. There, I've ranted enough, I'll go take my Lorazepam now. Cheers. Don

P

Pat Shanklin

Checking the Archives

When in doubt check the archives...I am new to "ODay Owners.com" and have done a little mouseing around and stumbled across "Ask an Oday Owner" forum archives and found a usefull article posted by Don Evans submitted 11/27/00. Thanks for your input on the subject Don. Perhaps this is a recurring topic. I had one question about the article that I guess was from Mike Burwell originally...Is 5200 a good choice for sealant??? I have never used a tough adheasive like 5200 on parts that will later need to be parted. My #1 choice would be a polysulfide like.."Boatlife" or "lifecaulk". it's really good stuff and cleans up easily. #2 choice would be marine silicone but I find it a bit messy to work with. Thanks again Don for the info. I think I will go snoop around the Catalina Site for those Rub Rails and give DanR marine a call, as you originally suggested...Pat Shanklin

D

Don Evans

No I Don't Use 5200 AT All

Probably everything at some point will have to be replaced on a boat, so I don't use 5200 at all. 4200 is a good choice, but I also use Life Caulk, polysulphide will work on 90% of the jobs needing bedding. Thats as good a choice as your going to find Pat. Take care. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.