ODay 19 vs Macgregor 21

Jan 26, 2023
ODay 19 Chatham Ma
I am looking to get back into sailing and have found some great information on these forums.

I had a sunfish many years ago and have sailed Hobie Cats. I have also sailed with friend that have larger boats. It has been a while since I sailed and I have spent more time on power boats than sailboats.

I am looking at trailer sailors, I do not have a mooring and would be sailing on New Hampshire lakes as well as the ocean, mostly Nantucket Sound. I am looking for boats that are easy to tow and set up. Many areas that I will sail have a lot of shoals so I need a shallow draft and the ability to beach the boat.

The two boats I am looking at are a 1969 ODay 19 and a 1970 Macgregor venture 21. I haven't seen the boats firsthand yet but from what I can tell the ODay looks in better condition, it is priced that way as well.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on pros and cons of the two boats? Are there other boats I should be considering?

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I had a Rhodes 19 (centerboard version) for a few years before getting my Capri. I really enjoyed the boat and it trailered/launched/set up really easily. Sailed very nice. I see them on craigslist from time to time for a decent price.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
:plus:on the O'Day 19, it's a more substantial boat. I've been on one in Natucket Sound - you'll have pick your days, no small craft warnings.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I’ve owned two Mac V21 sailboats

take a good hard look at the keel, the keel trunk and pivot pin and pivot holeS.

Jan 26, 2023
ODay 19 Chatham Ma
Thanks for the great feedback. I was also concerned about the keel winch on the Macgregor, it could be a big safety hazard it it let go while crossing a shoal in strong currents or wind. From what I have heard it is basically a standard trailer type winch? Does anyone know the mechanism for raising and lowering the keel on the ODay mariner 19?