Oday 19 centerboard help

Jul 3, 2021
Oday 19 Great Salt Lake
Hey all,

I have an Oday 19 that didn't come with a centerboard. Owner claimed it did, but I never found it, then he said maybe it never had one?

Anyways, I'm hoping to build one (or buy one? but I couldn't find any online). Does anyone know the specs and dimensions for the centerboard? I couldn't find anything online for it. I've seen the pin holes underneath, but also don't have plates or anything. I'll also need to run a new line up through the center for cleating it off.

Any advice on dimensions, how to build it and install it would be awesome. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you build a centerboard there is some latitude about its size and the material. If you are not looking for ballast you could make it out of marine ply with maybe a lead insert to help it go down. My guess is that you don't need the ballast because evidently it has been sailed by the PO without any. But it will sail better and point with one.
As for the size the governing parameters would the the depth of water you are sailing in and the size of the trunk. According to sailboatdata.com, the maximum depth for the O Day 19 is 4.33 feet. The width would be less than the height of the centerboard trunk. It could be tricky to work out the the arc of rotation around the pin. A mock up with a stiff material would help. I don't know anything about your lifting mechanism but there too you have an opportunity to improve on that.
The thickness of the board would be less than the slot with room to spare. If you really want to have fun would could shape the foil according to ideal foil shapes which are available.
Or you could find a parted out one.

• Helpful
Sep 29, 2013
Oday O'Day 222, O'Day 19 Casco Bay, Falmouth, ME
There isn’t enough of a stub keel on the 19 to have any windward ability at all, so you will need a centerboard. There are two plates that hold wedges up into the centerboard hull, and a nylon pin in the centerboard rests on top of the wedges. There are no through bolts that act as a pivot pin on most O’Day models. My boat is at my dock, and if no one else responds, I can go under water and measure the centerboard. It sounds like you need the two plates with screws, two wedges and the centerboard, the attachment shackle and the uphawl line. The line comes up from the back of the centerboard through a hole on the top of the step at the front of the cockpit.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
D and R Marine has the O'Day 19 centerboard plus all of the needed parts.

The centerboard is really just a piece of marine plywood sealed in fiberglass — it weighs 53 lbs.
It would be easy enough to fabricate if you don't want to pay $720 for a new one.

I have kept my 1983 O'Day 19 MK2 even after purchasing larger boats. It is so simple to trailer, rig, and to beach since it needs only 12 inches of water with the centerboard up.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O’Day centerboards we’re all hollow fiberglass, no plywood. Exceptions were the Javelin which had a galvanized steel CB, and the Mariner that had a cast-iron CB. There is a lot of thick fiberglass-resin “putty” that partly fills the inside and bonds the two side halves together. A small amount of lead flashing inside adds weight to make it easier to lower.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There's steel inside of mine. I've seen it. Not sure how much steel but it looked like a thick plate from the damaged edge that was exposed

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Hey all,

I have an Oday 19 that didn't come with a centerboard. Owner claimed it did, but I never found it, then he said maybe it never had one?

Anyways, I'm hoping to build one (or buy one? but I couldn't find any online). Does anyone know the specs and dimensions for the centerboard? I couldn't find anything online for it. I've seen the pin holes underneath, but also don't have plates or anything. I'll also need to run a new line up through the center for cleating it off.

Any advice on dimensions, how to build it and install it would be awesome. Thanks!
I have a used center board for a 222. If interested e mail mike.mehne@hotmail.com

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
222 Cb will not fit the 19. Worth checking with Rudy at D&R Marine in Assonet. MA, he was the Parts Guy at O'DAY for many years and now runs a little shop supplying parts for our boats. (508) 644-3001 www.drmarine.com
He may (or may not?) even have a used Cb for a 19 in stock. New ones are not cheap unfortunately, ($700), but used will be less and maybe another O 19 owner could measure their boat's CB.

Attachments