O'Day 15 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

I'm looking for information about the early 1980's O'Day 15. Specifications, sailing characteristics and any extraordinary chronic problems with the design. I'm contemplating buying one and I don't know much about this model.

G

Glenn

Oday 15

I just picked up one this past summer. It is my first daysailer. They are a great boat. Easy to sail with and I have only been sailing for 3 seasons. A great plus is that the only wood to take care of is the door for the cubby. I would go for it-you will not be disappointed.

D

dockdog

O'Day 15, 1971

There were two models of the 15. The early one was billed as a trainer/racer with optional spinaker and trapeze. I owned one of these for 25 years. great little boat, lots of fun. The second model, introduced in the early eighties, was subdued with cockpit changes and reduced sail area. It was a great little boat but lacked the capsizing fear so necessary for exciting sailing. I reduced the sail area on mine about 30% by using FJ sails. In the "cruising" mode it was the best gunkholer on the lake and opened new personal horizions for me. I moved up to a bigger boat and lake. I still race but I love gunkholing. The only problem I had with my 15 was a leak at the centerboard pin. I finally installed a drain plug in the transom and paused on the ramp, when retriving, to drain the bilge. The only problem in 25 years. Piece of cake! Lake Shawnee is about 2 miles by half a mile with several coves. The Fifteen was a perfect boat for this size lake. I do not remember either 15 having a cubby. there was another model "Daysailor" which did but it was not the same hull or rig. dockdog

Status
Not open for further replies.