OD34 rudder blister

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My '83 OD34 has developed a large 'blister' on one side of the rudder. About 18" high, 10" wide, and bulges out about 1/2". I drilled a hole in it and found the entire fiberglass skin, which is about 3/16" thick, has seperated from the core. It is bone dry - no water in it at all - just a large air pocket. I'm assuming it should be repaired and the repair is to cut it out, re-glass, and re-fair to match the other side. Anyone with a similar problem and how did you repair? Any thoughts on causes?? The rudder was epoxied 10 years ago (Interlux 2000), is blue in color and this is on the side that has always faced south for winter storage and could get pretty warm in the sun.

D

Don Evans

Rudder Delamination

What your describing is called "dry" delamination (as opposed to wet core delamination). The conditions for this to occur was likely caused at the factory (Foss Foam), when built. Insufficient resin (starvation) was used when they bonded the fiberglass to the foam core. The effect was also enhanced by painting a darker colour. Due to unequal thermal expansion, it likely stressed this area causing the skin to pull away from the core. This is one reason why most rudders are white. Either repaint the rudder after the repair white, or store the rudder wrapped in a light coloured plastic You correctly diagnosed the repair necessary. There is lots of good info around on the net and in book form to complete this repair yourself. You could also contact Foss Foam in Florida for their advice (see link below). The owner of the company, Al Walker, had a forum here on their rudders awhile ago. Check the forum archives for some good info. Any fiberglass repair shop you trust can also complete this work for you. Good luck. Don

J

Jim

Rudder Damage

I had a similiar problem with my rudder with my oday 35 which, I purchased in Michigan and had transported to Seattle. When I bought boat I did so knowing that I needed to make repair. You are correct in assuming that damage occured due to boat being out of water during winter storage, as was the case with my boat stored in Michigan. For starters, after you get same repaired, make certain that you do not use a dark color paint on rudder. If you do you will be attracting the sun and heat to a greater degree, thereby, causing warping to rudder. I would also recommend that you keep rudder covered when out of water for winter storage. I had my rudder repaired to the tune of 1,000.00 by a yard hear in Seattle known as CSR. who by the way did a first class job. Replacement rudder will cost considerably more if you can even find one. Good luck. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.