Oceanis 41 Dinghy Davits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2012
Beneteau 41 RI
Hello and thanks for you help.
I have a 2012 Oceanis 41. It has a very wide folding transom/swim platform.
I have been searching for Dinghy Davits for it - but unfortunately cannot find anything on-line. Did anyone successfully installed dinghy davits on it?
Can anyone recommend a specific model?

Thank you very much!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Hello and thanks for you help.
I have a 2012 Oceanis 41. It has a very wide folding transom/swim platform.
I have been searching for Dinghy Davits for it - but unfortunately cannot find anything on-line. Did anyone successfully installed dinghy davits on it?
Can anyone recommend a specific model?

Thank you very much!
Second Kato Marine. High quality, great customer service, extensive photo library of installations. Smart people, know all about Davits.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I asked that very question of a Beneteau rep at the Annapolis boat show when they showed up with that trendy "tailgate" stern on the boats. He just looked at me and shrugged. I can see no possible way to swing a dink off the stern of these boats and that is a stupid shame. Even mounting a bimini on that beam will cost you a fortune.

Aug 5, 2012
Beneteau 41 RI
Thank you for your advise.

I checked out Kato Marine
For this type of boat They offer permanently attached (non fold-able) davits.
I am looking for something that I can have off most of the time.

Second Kato Marine. High quality, great customer service, extensive photo library of installations. Smart people, know all about Davits.

zoya

Apr 6, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Annapolis
Great.. Let us know what you find please, I am also in the market for davits.

Best.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
I asked that very question of a Beneteau rep at the Annapolis boat show when they showed up with that trendy "tailgate" stern on the boats. He just looked at me and shrugged. I can see no possible way to swing a dink off the stern of these boats and that is a stupid shame. Even mounting a bimini on that beam will cost you a fortune.
Get a Beneteau arch! Best thing they ever made.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The arch does not extend aft far enough to allow a dink to be dropped in the water clear of the folding stern tailgate. And I can only imagine the fire-drill if you attempted to do this prior to folding down the tailgate. The whole concept is complicated by the 14ft beam on these boats, most of which is a tailgate. If someone engineers a solution, it will be very expensive. It looks like most of the builders are going with this tailgate thing on new boats. Some make them sensibly narrow.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
The arch does not extend aft far enough to allow a dink to be dropped in the water clear of the folding stern tailgate. And I can only imagine the fire-drill if you attempted to do this prior to folding down the tailgate. The whole concept is complicated by the 14ft beam on these boats, most of which is a tailgate. If someone engineers a solution, it will be very expensive. It looks like most of the builders are going with this tailgate thing on new boats. Some make them sensibly narrow.

Neither will davits allow for the dink to be lowered with the tailgate down. The arch will work well with the tailgate up.

I am not a fan of the tailgate. Years ago I sailed an old eighties Beneteau (think it was an Idylle) with the tailgate configuration. Could not leave it down at anchor as it bounced a lot unless it was dead flat calm. A sugar scoop stern is much better.

Jul 2, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Blaine
I also have a 41 and personally do not want to add davits however I recently saw a 45 where the Vancouver BC dealer had installed a custom arch with folding davits. The owner had a 270 sized dinghy with motor in the davits. Looked like a workable solution. I am sure if you contact them they can send you some pictures but I dont think you will find an 'off the shelf' solution.

Whenever I see magazine ads for sailboats they never show davits or canvas. The cockpit in the new Oceanis series is a huge selling feature but canvas and dinghys can be a challenge. I tow mine or put in on the fore deck. I am also looking for better options - I had davits on my Oceanis 31 - not my cup of tea.

Aug 5, 2012
Beneteau 41 RI
OK, I attended the Newport Boat show looking for a solution. No luck. I asked Beneteau dealers for any example of davits and/or arch for Oceanis 41 ... No one knows.

Jul 12, 2012
Beneteau 41 Kemah
I had an acquaintance who bought a Beneteau 45 and had an arch installed on the stern. Complete with davits, wind generator and solar panels. Not cheap but I thought it looked great. He and I both agreed that it was pretty much the only solution for davits. I'm mounting solar panels on my Bimini. I have a 41 and yes they don't come with the warning that 14 ft wide biminis and anything else mounted on the stern will be a problem. I don't even have room for a BBQ pit. One of the drawbacks to the tailgate transom. It increases cockpit room dramatically but makes it hard and or expensive to mount anything other than a life sling.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
OK, I attended the Newport Boat show looking for a solution. No luck. I asked Beneteau dealers for any example of davits and/or arch for Oceanis 41 ... No one knows.

Beneteau knows! Beneteau had arches for the 423 and 473. When I ordered my 393 in 2003 I specified an arch. Dealer later told me B did not have an arch for a 393 and a custom arch would cost about 6K. I did not want to stick the dealer so agreed to taking a 423 arch. It fit fine with a shim on the transom as the transom for the 393 is a bit steeper than the 423.

Quite a few members of the 393 Yahoo group later bought arches from B and put them on their 393's. The price was great. Under 2K initially but it went up a bit later. I think B wanted 2.5K for one. Much cheaper than a custom one.

There are pictures of the install in the 393 Yahoo group site.

Mine has worked fine and it's ten years old this fall.

Jul 2, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Blaine
if you want an engine lifted too I would think it needs to be a small engine? I like those Kato davits the design fits the boat- any idea the cost?
I have attached a picture of a custom arch/davit system on an Oceanis 45. Not my boat - I hope the owner doesn't mind

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
if you want an engine lifted too I would think it needs to be a small engine? I like those Kato davits the design fits the boat- any idea the cost?
I have attached a picture of a custom arch/davit system on an Oceanis 45. Not my boat - I hope the owner doesn't mind
Well, there's your $6k stern arch!

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
Another option that might work is something like this one. I like the simplicity, minimal hardware, and the way they mount with no reliance on the rails.

http://kingstonanchors.com/davits.htm

I don't know about the motor mount portion, there is just not enough railing for anything. I also worry about the inward tension with a 9 ft dinghy and davits that are 13 ft apart without some kind of bar. This is probably a couple of thousand and sufficient at least for the marina and anchorages, and I am ok towing the rest of the time.

I have for the moment jury rigged a solution to tilt up the dinghy when docked using the bar in the transom.

On a related note, has anyone considered mounting a grill on the fixed ladder handles? Seems like that would work quite well for a gas canister grill, and those steps get very little use in the cold waters around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.