ocean proofing a Legend 41AC?

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hi all,

Possibly looking to cross the Atlantic later this year in the 41AC we have (Canary Islands to the Caribbean) and have a few concerns of such a voyage in the boat, such as the aft lockers being so low and not separate from the aft cabin (if water comes in them it goes into the main boat area), as well as the same for the cockpit lockers.

So, has anyone found a decent solution to this?

Second issue, exposed spade rudder, thinking a hydrovane to minimise the possible loss of this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

LMA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you have internal access to the lazaret hatch, I would configure a tie down. Put a seal around the inside of the hatch so when you close it the hatch will be water tight.

Then attach a line to the two corners and draw the lines from inside down to a pair of cleats. This way you can pull the hatch down against the seal and secure the hatch in place. That would reduce the risk of water intrusion from being hit by a following sea.

If you are so inclined you can redesign the inside of the lazaret and fiberglass a bottom and sides making the whole of the lazaret water tight. You can also install latches on the outside that you can lock shut. This would help with sealing the hatch, but would not let you use it to escape the boat.

All boat issues involve a compromise.

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Thanks as if we decide to keep the boat and do the trip in her then new seals and extra catches for the hatches are definitely on the "to do" list.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
I thought about needing to seal that aft lower locker area on my 410. But, there are more than a few hoses traversing underneath and I would need to seal the rear wood panel, all so the that I'd end up manually removing any liquid way down there. As long as the lids are secured with good latches we're good I think.
I too worry about my composite shaft rudder. I have a servo pendulum windvane and have a conversion to make it an emergency auxilliary rudder.
Lots of things to think about concerning what you want verses what you can logically mount on the transom and what type of windvane performance/emergency rudder you get.
Servo pendulum is much stronger main rudder steering and more accurate if you are looking to have the boat steered mechanically. Centerline position for optimum protection. Anything offset has the better potential of getting struck, especially a pure auxiliary rudder hydrovane could rip out our standard transom if hit.
A mount when needed emergency rudder would be the most economical to get if you feel you don't need a windvane or don't want to obstruct the transom.
We make due and step around ours centerline, the ladder is in place but shimmying around is necessary at the top.
No easy answers only compromises.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is cockpit drainage an issue on your model? Just curious. For instance, an adequate bridge deck and cockpit scuppers large enough to deal with green water occasions or getting pooped.