Ocean City MD, Chincoteague, Assateague

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Also, if your draft can get you into shallow water, there are some great places to access from Atlantic Highlands. Red Bank on the Navesink is a great town with a lot of up-scale activity and all the expensive shopping you could desire. Or you can travel more up the Shrewsbury and visit Sea Bright. There is a ton of night life and general Jersey Shore activity in that area. Those 2 estuaries are also pretty scenic. Both of them involve a bridge opening to navigate. Large boats travel up the Shrewsbury. You would have to check the draft depths to travel up the Navesink to Red Bank.

Across Raritan Bay, there is probably a lot of activity at Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island. I've been thinking about that for a destination.

John P

Feb 11, 2017
Barnegat is a nice anchorage with good holding. Several nice Jersey Shore seafood restaurants in town. I called SeaTow from outside for info on the entrance which is not difficult but good to know what to do. SeaTow would rather give you some onfo than come out to pick up the pieces.

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
We did Chincoteague, Cape May and Ocean City about ten years ago two years in row.

Cape May is a great place to visit. An easy ocean inlet. We stayed at the South Jersey Marina, an outstanding facility. They have in-slip refueling at every slip. We rented a car there too. Ocean City was lots of fun for the kids and me, but my wife really didn't like it much. We stayed at the White Marlin Marina, which was OK and in a great location. They only had one slip for a big sailboat that draws five feet so make a reservation for that slip (unless things have changed there). Great boardwalk access, amusement park and restaurants. The ocean inlet is a bit tricky compared to Cape May. We dinghied over to Assateague Island for a day at the beach too. The Chincoteague inlet is long and curvy. All the buoys are small floating anchored buoys because the Coast Guard has to move them so often. The entrance takes nearly an hour to wind through, especially if there is traffic. The city marina is the place to stay. No services but well located to the town and Assateague. We spent two nights there and had plenty to do. Docking was difficult because of a strong current and no help. You dock perpendicular to the current so the current will put the boat hard against the piling immediately. Then you just have to force your way into the slip with the motor and pushing off.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
....The city marina is the place to stay. No services but well located to the town and Assateague. We spent two nights that and had plenty to do. Docking was difficult because of a strong current and no help. You dock perpendicular to the current so the current will but the boat hard against the piling immediately. Then you just have to force your way into the slip with the motor and pushing off.
If there is room the bulkhead is much easier to get on and off, because you are parallel to the current. Piece of cake. But you will need fender boards. I've been there a dozen times with my cruising cat.