OC 41.1 Anchor storage

B-to

Dec 17, 2018
Beneteau OC 41.1 Sag Harbor
I have an Oceanis 41.1 and there seems to be no easy way to remove the anchor from the bow roller and store it in the locker without removing the chain. Does anyone know how to easily store the anchor - for example when you are on a mooring to avoid the anchor chaffing the mooring lines? My previous boat had an opening in the anchor locker cover that would allow the anchor chain to pass through and still close the cover.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
I've come to the same conclusion on my 41.1. It looks like I'd have to pull the entire length of chain and rode up through the hawse hole to get it off the windlass and then place it back in the anchor locker along with the anchor. Also, the anchor is attached with a shackle that has an unusual square bolt head, and no tool I have will fit in there in order to unscrew the shackle bolt and remove the anchor from the chain. I hope someone has an idea.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Also, the anchor is attached with a shackle that has an unusual square bolt head, and no tool I have will fit in there in order to unscrew the shackle bolt and remove the anchor from the chain. I hope someone has an idea.
Find a correctly sized twelve-point socket. It'll fit the square bolt head. Hope this helps.

B-to

Dec 17, 2018
Beneteau OC 41.1 Sag Harbor
Thanks for the replies, as I feared. Between the two I think I will run the chain through, I’ve never done it before but I would assume it would be fairly easy to thread the rope back through the the windlass than to start loosening the shackle on the anchor and potentially have a fail with that. If anyone ran into issues or learned any lessons doing this or would recommend another course of action I would be interested in hearing.