Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
More on the endlessly fascinating topic of propeller nuts. This mystery got lost in all the traveling and haul out bustle and I forgot about it until I ran across the nut while cleaning up the boat yesterday.

When the boat was hauled, the propeller lock nut was found to be cracked. It was put on (wrong way around, of course) by a diver and thus under less than optimum working conditions.

This is what it looks like:

Ah Ha! You say, that's why the big nut should go on last. However, the nut was tight even with a crack just as wide as seen in the photo. The big nut was tight and the prop was firmly seated. There was nothing to indicate that anything had moved.

The diver was a big guy but over torquing usually results in stripped threads, not nut cracking. I thought perhaps the pipe wrench (Why is it that prop nuts never seem to fit standard wrenches?) pulled it apart but the wrench indentations are on the wrong side of the break.

H & H Propeller said that they have never seen or heard of anything like this. It just went on at the end of April and there were no signs of corrosion.

The best theory I can come up with is that the nut was tapped improperly to a sup standard hole size (tapered tap not run fully through?) and popped when forced on. There are lots of holes in that theory though. The threads on both the nut and shaft look perfect. The measurements inside the threads in line with the crack and perpendicular to it are the same. The crack doesn't appear to have spread the nut.

Anybody got a better theory?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Maybe the nut was cut wrong or was just a
bad nut!

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I think the nut is supposed to be that way. I'm sure I have seen something alike in my travels. It may be cut to prevent over tightening and pulling a bearing.
I'm not sure about the tapered wrong theory. If it broke while being put on it would snap hard and whoever was tightening it would notice.
If it was put on with a box end or a socket it would have less chance of breaking.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
All I come come up with is that it went on somewhat cross threaded and was split by the uneven forces applied. After it cracked the threads aligned themselves and it went smooth the rest of the way, tightening and holding the torque necessary to hold the prop securely.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
The indentations on the edges of the nut almost look like it was tightened with a pipe wrench. Not having the correct wrench or socket the diver may have used a pipe wrench. This puts stress unevenly on the surface of the nut. It actually squeezes as it is cranked and could deform the hole enough to cause this.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don't know how it was cracked, but it has had some bad trauma ! There is another crack starting on the ID at the 11:00 o-clock position and another at the 3:00 o-clock .. Probably was pushed over the shaft threads by the big nut during a torquing..

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Made in China ??

BTW, the big nut suppose to lift the small nut off from the prop. It appears in this case the outside small nut is the one that takes the load thus cracked.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
I have seen entire 12 foot bars of aerospace quality stainless steel have a crack the whole length. These are wrought bars. What happens is the original ingot at the mill has an defect in it called an inclusion. It might be an impurity trapped when the metal solidifies or a gas bubble or even if the ingot isn't cooled properly an internal shrinkage crack or porosity can develop due to thermal stresses. So the imperfect ingot then gets rolled and rolled and stretched so the original small defect gets longer and longer and eventual becomes the full length of the bar. You can hear it on a lathe when you start making parts. The tool hits the defect and makes a thunking noise.
On your nut this is one possibility, but the fracture looks very brittle and the best bet would be to perform a failure analysis by opening it up and looking under a microscope. You will see if it propogated over time or if it was a brittle fracture that happened instantaneously. Or you could just get a new nut put it on the right way and go sailing.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Im going with the pipe wrench distorted the nut theory. Ive broke nuts just like that before. Pipe wrenches put enormous loads at small pin point locations, and the nut will try to become oblong. Each time you move the wrench and pull, your distorting the nut in a new direction.

Jun 11, 2011
Pearson 40 Bristol, RI
Was this nut on the shaft when the propellor blade snapped off a month or so ago? If yes, the fracture may of ocurred during the catastrophic failure of the blade or during the motoring that followed the loss of the blade

Status
Not open for further replies.