Number one.....or number two?

Sep 5, 2019
Catalina 320 San Diego
This may be a silly question....but, here it goes. I recently upgraded from my Catalina 27 to a 320. Love the boat, it has the same Jasco manual pump head. The macerator pump is only used for pumping the holding tank while underway. How would I modify this boat so we can take longer trips and use the head for ALL purposes, not just for pee? we were told not to crap in it since there's no inline macerator to help the flow to the holding tank

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It's a 27 gallon holding tank, there's a free pump out in every harbor in California, and the 3 mile line is 3 miles away, what do you want to change ?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yes, While I prefer a Raritan head any head will handle waste, just use single ply paper, the paper is tougher than the waste.

Sep 5, 2019
Catalina 320 San Diego
Yes, While I prefer a Raritan head any head will handle waste, just use single ply paper, the paper is tougher than the waste.
thanks Ted, I was under the impression you needed some sort of a pump to assist with the solid waste.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Most manual heads will pump to about 10' above the tank, some electrics use a macerating pump to flush. If your Jabsco is functioning well there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yo
we were told not to crap in it since there's no inline macerator to help the flow to the holding tank
There's no reason to avoid putting solid waste down any manual toilet, even a Jabsco. Solid waste is about 75% water, so it breaks up pretty well going through the toilet and dissolves quickly in the tank. You can even flush TP if it's the "quick dissolve" kind (cheap, flimsy, almost dissolves in your hand when it gets wet).

I do recommend however that you add water to the bow--about 1/4 bowlful-- ahead of a solids deposit...your toilet isn't designed to bring water in and hold it, so use a cup from the sink. This will leave the bowl a LOT cleaner with very little pumping needed after use.

Since you don't seem to be familar with how marine sanitation systems on larger boats work, you might want check out my book (see link in my signature) The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is!

Just a suggestion...

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
was told not to crap in this manual pump style head. was I mislead?
Someone had a big laugh at your expense!
BTW, if you change to a Raritan PH2, you'll never go back to that cheapie.

ps: be sure to acquire Peggy's book. It's THAT good. :)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
OH, my. I'm late to this thread but..... The admiral really doesn't like offshore is where I would start this. So 5 years ago when the boat was homeported in Freeport, TX, we would make the trip to Florida to meet up with friends. By way of the Gulf ICW. 12 day trip at the speeds we would travel without stopping at a marina. So somebody had to use the head every day. And let me tell you that pumpout stations in Louisiana are A) non-existant or B) not complete. Ooops, that's a different thread. So yes, you can use the head for #1 or #2. Just remember to add water to the bowl before #2 to reduce the amount of water needed to clear the bowl.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If this came from a power boater, yes you were mislead (except in the case of Ms. @Peggie Hall HeadMistress ). They are also the leading source of misinformation in most other boating related things as well.
Ralph, that comment is the nautical equivilent of racism. Granted there are idiot powerboaters on the water, but I've had personal experience with, and have heard from lot more from others who have had their own experiences with quite a few idiot sailors too. And when it comes to systems, the total lack of understanding about how to use and maintain 'em is about the same in both groups.

'Nuff said.

--Peggie

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Ralph, that comment is the nautical equivilent of racism
No nautical racism here. Just based on years of observation.

If I had a nickel for every time I was under sail and nearly run over by a power boater ................. I remember one particularly nasty incident where we were under sail and in the cross hairs of a power boater under autopilot. After repeatedly sounding the air horn, some drunk comes out on deck and salutes us with a martini glass and then goes back below and carries on his way.

And yes, I remember an incident involving a 38' Benetau which could have easily ended in death. The boat was brand new out of the box, and drop dead gorgeous. I used to salivate every time I saw this boat which was across the dock from us. It was owned by a young couple who didn't know the front end of the boat from the back. I had talked with them a few times and certainly nice enough but didn't even know what questions to ask and weren't interested in finding out either. Always dressed in the latest Helly Hansen gear. Likely an inheritance. One day, I was walking past their boat which was right across the dock from mine and saw hubby, at the base of the mast, pulling straight down on a halyard for all he was worth. There were no winches, rope clutches, or anything else to assist. Just his bare hands pulling on this maybe 3/8" halyard. Interesting :rolleyes: ! So I looked up the mast and there was his wife about 15 feet up in a bosun's chair WITHOUT A SAFETY LINE. Hubby is slightly built and he's all there is holding her up. So what do you do ? Any surprise to him and she's going to wind up falling across the boom with a minimum of a broken back. I walked over so I was across from him where he could see me before I spoke and then said in a joking manner it should really be him up there because she was much too pretty. He slowly let her down. I felt like punching his lights out for such a dumb stunt. I tried to tell him about safety lines, winches, rope clutches, but he probably didn't understand or just wasn't interested. The next time I came back to my boat, they had moved across to the next dock over. Couldn't stand the nosy neighbour.

Yes, blind ignorance in both camps ..................... maybe 75% of power boaters and 25% of sailors :poke:.