NPR Here and now talks to the survivors of the Almesian

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
http://www.hereandnow.org/2010/04/rundown-414-3

NPR interviewed three of the four survivors of the Almesian, rescued by the Coast Guard returning from Bermuda in 20-40 foot seas in 2005. FYI. A number of you have seen me write about it, as my friend, fellow sailor and co-worker is Chris Ferrer. I thought some might enjoy listening.

In May 2005, on a pleasure cruise to Bermuda, the sailboat Almeisan was caught in a storm which overturned and severely damaged the boat. As the five member crew attempted to board the life raft, a wave swept the captain and first mate into the ocean. Rescue attempts for all five were hampered by continuing rough conditions. We speak to Mike Tougias, who writes about the Almeisan in his new book “Overboard! A True Blue-Water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival” and Chris Ferrer, one of the survivors of the accident.

We also speak to Loch Reidy, the first mate of the Almeisan, who found Captain Tom Tighe after they were swept overboard, and struggled to stay alive in the ocean, miles from the ship.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I read the book this weekend. It is a very good read, but not overly analytical of the situation. It is more of a page turner. I only put it down once. Even though I thought I knew the story pretty well there was a lot more to learn. There was a second story about another boat in the same storm which was quite good also. I highly recommend the book.

Nov 20, 2009
Catalina 30 Nahant
Tougias Delivers

Thanks for the link
wow. What a read. I didn,t mind paying for a hardcover. You are right, there is not a lot of Monday AM quarterbacking. But the author puts you in the water. 10 Hours untill Dawn was outstanding, and now Overboard continues the kind of nonfiction sailors want.
We went to Gloucester for a book signing on 10 hours. Of the 2 dozen folks in the room,
half of them were relatives of a Can Do crewman.