No-Furl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A. Sikes

I need to replace my ORIGINAL headsail furler on my '78 C-30 "OBLIVION", I think it was made by Bay Sailing Equipment. Now it's a No-Furler! Any recommendations?

Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
Replace forestay as well

While you are at it, you might as well plan to replace the forestay as well. If the furler is original, it is possible the forestay is too. Regarding furlers, if you are planning to use your existing furling headsail, then the new one probably should have the same or less pin to pin deduction as your current furler unless you happen to have a headsail with a small luff. Some manufacturers require special headstay eyes, so that may be a consideration for you if you do not have the disposition to be handy with rigging tools. Others will go over just about any stud and turnbuckle combination. I think it is best to first educate yourself on the particular configurations and set up arrangements of furlers first before deciding upon just which furler would be the best for you.

A

A. Sikes

I had intended to replace the headstay as well...haven't found a system that doesn't use one. So far, I've considered the Harken, CDI, or Spin-Tec systems. Schaeffer seems good as well, but I'm not sure if it's worth the elevated price. I'm confident that I can handle the rigging/installation, been in the boating industry for 25 years, just not familiar with the new systems that are available now.

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
check out Furlex

My Cat 30 from 1989 has a Furlex which still works well after 16 years. I have used Furlex on other boats and they seem very good (especially the newer ones)and easy to maintain. They are manufactured by Selden from Sweden.Check out their website for some inspiration and local contacts.(I have no commercial interest in this brand).

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
ProFurl is another good choice

The Harken, Furlex, ProFurl and Schaffer furlers should be about the same price for correct furler for the C-30. All four are excellent units and will last a long time. I had a Hood SeaFurl on my '87 C-30T and hated it (continuous line, couldn't reef, could only furl, etc.). I had a Harken on my first boat (a Cal 27), a Hood on my C-30, and my C-320 came equipped with a Schaffer 2100. The Harken and the Schaffer were quite reliable units. The CDI uses a plastic extrusion, replaces your halyards with its own internal ones, and has NO ball berrings. Although some people have them on C-30s, I wouldn't recommend this unit for anything bigger than a C-25. Friends have had the Furlex and the ProFurl on their boats and liked them very well. I've never heard of Spin Tech. Don't compare apples with oranges. The ProFurl, Schaffer, Harken, and Furlex are roller reefing units while the CDI is a roller furler. The difference between these is that the former can be used to decrease the size of the heasail reliably when the wind pipes up while the CDI can only be used to completely roll furl the sail. The CDI is much less expensive as a result. Ya Gets What Ya Pays For. Steve Alchemist C-30T #4764 Alchemist C-320 #909

A

A. Sikes

Going with Profurl

I've decided to go with a ProFurl system. The boat's now kept on the Chesapeake Bay. I chose Charlie Taylor of Bay Area Rigging to do the installation. He comes highly reccomended and offers a lifetime warranty on the system. He's been extremely helpful and patient with me and has thoroughly answered ALL of my questions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.