No Drains To Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2005
- - SARASOTA FL
I Recently Purchased A S2 8.0 Cc That Had Teak Parquet Flooring That Was Detiorating From Getting Wet In The Main Cabin. After Removing The Flooring I Discovered There Are No Drains To The Bilge. The Floor Is F/glass Over Plywood From Bow To Aft Stateroom Where There Is A Bilge Just At The Aft End Of Engine To Aft Stateroom.
Does Anyone Know How The Boat Was Constructed Under The Glass/ply Floor? I Sure Someone Has Run Into This Problem Getting The Water Off And Out Of The Boat. Please Dont Answer "get A Bucket Brigade".
I Cant Imagine Any Responsible Company Building A 26' Boat With A Dinghy Style Floor.
I Had Planned On Replacing Floor With Solid Teakwood Flooring But Can See Where In A Few Years Having The Same Problem With Wood Flooring And Carpeting Will Mildew And Rot In The Humidity In Fl.
Anyone Have Any Ideas?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
When you replace the floor, treat the edges and backside with epoxy to protect it. My teak and holly flooring was badly damaged in the past by standing water and perhaps alcohol from the stove and needs replacing. Any water that lands in the engine compartment on the starboard side can make its way forward under the cabinet apparently.

Where is the water coming from? Is there a conduit to carry water from the head floor to the bilge? Is it collecting forward under the floor?

Mar 31, 2005
- - SARASOTA FL
I Have Numerous Leaks (deck Area, Large Fixed Windows-caulking Bad, Life Line Stantions-caulking Bad). I Have Just Pulled Both Windows And Will Replace Them And Recaulk. The Only Thing That Holds Them In Place Is The Caulking-another Poor Design Item. Im Going To Put Teak Trim On The Outside And Bolt Them To The Boat. I Got Caught Totally Unexpected 100 Mi Off So Calif In A Hurricane (1984) Just So Of The La Paz Mex In 70 Ft Seas, So Any Repairs I Do I Keep That In Mind. The Boat Was Underwater 3 Times Only The Boom And Mast Was Visible. These Large Windows Would Get Sucked Right Out Of The Boat In Those Circumstances As Presently Installed.

Mar 31, 2005
- - SARASOTA FL
I got carried away and forgot to answer all your questions. The head is next to the engine on the starboard side but no there isnt any drains to the bilge anywhere except in the engine compartment and the 90% of the aft cabin drains toward the bilge. There is about a 3/4 to 1" lip that runs around the entire floor ie the f/g/ply floor is 3/4 to 1" above (higher) than the hull which leaves a lip around the edge for water to collect but there isnt a drain around the entire perimeter to the bilge.
I dont want to cut into the floor without knowing whats underneath to install a drain system. This sounds like im doing my yard instead of a boat.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Wow...if you are worried about getting caught in a hurricane on board a 26 footer again you'd better install some provisions for deadlights and forget about bolting the windows in as they might just break out!

I don't belive the S2 was constructed with a grid pan, so you should expect the sole to at most be screwed to stringers glassed into the hull (look for wood plugs which would cover the screw heads) as well as pinned down by a quarter round around the edges. It may also be glued to the stringers. See Tim's site. He did his, as I recall, and although it is on an Ericson, construction should be similar.

http://treilley.myphotoalbum.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.