No Bow thruster

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you’re new to using a thruster this might help you adjust your techniques:
When you have a bow thruster, it allows you to use bursts of side thrust when backing to spin the boat at very slow speeds in either direction. It’s most effective at slow-speed (below 2 knots) or no-speed just to pivot the boat, never as a steering aid while the boat is underway.
At slow speeds the rudder is less effective or ineffective other than via bursts of propwash when the rudder is turned. Also most boats have a certain amount of prop walk (to only one side) in reverse, which can be used to your advantage.You can use propwalk in combination with short bursts of propwash on a turned rudder to spin the boat in a confined space. You do this by alternating between forward and reverse.
A bow thruster adds a dimension of control to spin the boat on its CE axis beyond what you might get only from prop walk or use of propwash. A thruster lets you spin the boat in either direction.
It‘s a good thing to have, and fear of equipment failure is not a reason to avoid having or using it. I’ve had boats with them and not, but at this point I would not buy a 40-foot boat that doesn’t have one (unless it has twin engines, e.g. a catamaran).

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Hi all
Looking at a 2011 Ben. Oceanis 43 this weekend
No bow thruster

is it a big deal?
I would not buy a 43 footer without a thruster.
We had a 32 beneteau without one and now a Jeanneau 389 with one. It is a life saver.

Having said that, it is possible to install one, but it is rather expensive.