NMEA 0183 to Wi-Fi Help

Nov 23, 2018
Schock Harbor 25 Los Angeles
I have a Standard Horizon GX2499 with AIS but it’s very hard to view the screen.

I am wondering if anyone has experience using this product Smart WLN10 – NMEA 0183 to Wi-Fi that will enable me to view AIS on my iPad?

I am not clear if it only works with Navionics or does it have a display from my Standard Horizon on iPad and is it easy to install?

https://digitalyacht.net/2020/03/26/upgrade-standard-horizon-vhf-ais-radio-wireless/

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
We used the "Yakker" version with Navionics for awhile a few years ago; it died after 2-3 seasons, if I recall correctly (about the same time we were already planning on a real AIS transceiver and plotter anyway). I would think the Digital Yacht version at ~3x the price is probably better made. It took just a little fiddling in the iPad Navionics app, but once configured, was quite usable. Nice to see the big-steel-things coming before they round the point.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
I have one of the Yacht Devices NMEA2000<=>WiFi units. It was pretty straightforward to setup. It work can work by itself as a WiFi base station, and I configured mine to be a client of the boat WiFi instead. They make NMEA0183 units too. Basic web interface over WiFi from your laptop and vendor agnostic so no worries about proprietary connectors or anything.

I don't access it with my phone, but I do with OpenCPN off a laptop. It replicates everything off the NMEA bus - AIS, GPS, speed, depth, etc. You can configure to filter out stuff you don't want and other options as well. Overall a pretty good unit both from how it seems physically at the hardware level and also the software/web-ui.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
does it have a display from my Standard Horizon on iPad and is it easy to install?
Need to unpack the issue a bit to understand it.
  1. You want to display the GX2499 NMEA0183 data on an iPad.
  2. What software (app) is on the iPad too display the data.
    1. What input source is available in the app BlueTooth, WiFi, TCP…
  3. Then you need a device that can speak to that input source and connect to the NMEA0183 data source
There are several iPad apps that can be used. Or you can find a device (MFD) that replaces the iPad yet is pre-designed to connect to NMEA0183 data.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We used the "Yakker" version with Navionics for awhile a few years ago; it died after 2-3 seasons, if I recall correctly (about the same time we were already planning on a real AIS transceiver and plotter anyway). I would think the Digital Yacht version at ~3x the price is probably better made. It took just a little fiddling in the iPad Navionics app, but once configured, was quite usable. Nice to see the big-steel-things coming before they round the point.
We have the bidirectional Yakbak version. Been going strong for 8 years

I have been meaning to open it up and see how well it is made.

3x the price may not mean better quality imo. I suspect it's more that one is a small business with reasonable pricing and the other is selling at "boat" pricing.