Nissan/Tohatsu 6HP Extra Long Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2007
Catalina 22 FWB, FL
I have been looking at the 6HP extra long shaft (25") because it comes with the alternator installed and I'd like to mount the motor high enough so the tiller can be straight into the cockpit to allow easier throttle adjustment and steering. I've seen C22 sailors struggle with the tiller at awkward angles and inadvertantly changing speed and it appears awkward if not dangerous. Anyone else have a 25" shaft motor installed high on the transom? If so how does it work. Anyone else see any problems in doing this before I spend the money? Thanks, Tim

W

Waffle

Don't get a long shaft get

retrackable motor mount instead. Cheaper and better becuase you will be able to keep the motor out of the water better.

Feb 4, 2007
Catalina 22 FWB, FL
ELS v/s LS

I've got a retractable mount currently, but when the mount is in the down position the outboard cowling sits too low and the outboard tiller does not reach the cockpit at a horizontal angle. This makes it hard to steer and control speed. I was thinking of mounting the extra long shaft(ELS) outboard higher to avoid cumbersome operation of the outboard. The ELS is not any more expensive as I was opting for the alternator addition anyway and would have to pay extra to have it added to the regular long shaft model. Hope this makes it clearer on what I am trying to convey. Thanks for the reply, Tim

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
22 OB Steering

If you tighten the OB's turning adjustment bolt, then steer with the boat's tiller. This works well except for close quarters. RK

Status
Not open for further replies.