Nissan Outboard Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Heiting

I recently inherited an 8hp 2 stroke Nissan which appears to be less than five years old. Can anyone give me info regarding fuel/oil ratio? Also, can I determine age by anything on the serial number? How about spark plug info? Thanks to all!

E

Eric

Nissan

I have a 2001 Nissan 9.8 hp. Ratio after break in is 100:1. Most newer motors are. Dunno about serial numbers or sparks. check on the internet for a Nissan dealer near you!

S

sailortonyb

Are you sure?

I dont have a Nissan so i cant speak for them, but my Johnson takes a 50:1 ratio and i thought that most OB's did. I'm probably wrong, but before i used a 100:1 ratio, i would boogie on down to the nearest Nissan dealer and he can tell you all the specs and also the age.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Tulsa, OK
50:1

I have a 9.8 2-stroke Tohatsu (should be the same as Nissan) and it specifies 50:1 after break-in. It is the best outboard I have had. 59 pounds and enough power to plane my inflatable with 3 teenage grandsons and me aboard.

B

Bob

100:1 vs. 50:1

I dont think that nissan or most other manufacturers of O/B motors are allowed to sell them in the US any longer due to environmental issues and new laws. On the following link, although Nissan does not show their 9.8, all of their other motors are 50:1 mix., to be sure, as everyone else stated...bring your O/B to a Nissan dealer. In the mean time, if you use it, a 50:1 wont do much damage other than a little extra smoke and premature plug fouling. On the other hand , if you use a 100:1 mixture and you are wrong, you will cause serious damage to your motor

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Hope this helps

I have a 2000 Nissan 8hp two-stroke that I bought new. It's a two-cylinder engine. The fuel-oil ratio is 50:1. Spark plugs are: NGK BPR7HS (factory) or Champion RL82YC While you're at it, you may want to consider changing the lower unit gear oil and replacing the water pump impeller. I just got a new impeller (haven't changed it yet) The part number is 382-65021-1. That's a Tohatsu part number but the Nissan dealer assured me it was the right one as Tohatsus are Nissan clones. You might want to double check, just in case they sent me the wrong part. Good luck. Peter H23 "Raven"

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
clones

Actually, Nissan's are Tohatsu clones Did you know? Question: What's the difference between Tohatsu and Nissan Marine outboards? Answer: Tohatsu is the maker of all Nissan outboards. Tohatsu and Nissan outboard engines are identical with the exception of cowling decals. A slightly higher premium is paid for the Nissan Marine name branding. Tohatsu also manufactures many of Mercury Marine's smaller hp portable outboards. I'd be almost sure that you should use 50 to 1. That's what my 2 stroke 8 horse Tohatsu calls for. If you are rarely going to run it at full throttle, you can go a little leaner on the oil, say maybe 60 to 1, and cut down on the smoke a little. As the others said, ask a local dealer to be sure. Better yet, go to the website and download the owner's manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.