Nicro Solar Vent Malfunction

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I have had this unit (@4-1/2" diameter at mounting surface looks like). since 1995 so it does not owe me anything, but it was no longer spinning so, as a couple of times in the past, I put a fresh (rechargeable, as per spec.) battery in. Did not start to spin. I spun it a bit, it ran for maybe 10 seconds and then died. The +/- contacts look to be very clean an d free of corrosion. Anything I have missed, like pulling the impeller and lubing something? Anyone had this issue. This has been a good little unit so want to keep it going if I can.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Does it run in the sun? How sure are you that your fresh battery was charged? I did a similar thing, bought brand new batteries which didn't fix the problem. Until it sat in the sun for a while and then it charged up.
Also double check the battery contacts for good connection.

• Helpful
Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks. Will do all that. It did not sit in the sun long. Battery advertised as "pre-charged" but that could be BS. It did not run when I installed and it was a sunny day so contacts or faulty motor remain open questions I guess.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Could be the motor inside is gummed up with debris and/or the bearing is toast. I had a similar situation with my solar powered Nicro vent. You can try spraying some contact cleaner around the shaft bearing on both ends followed by some light lube oil.

I bought this:
As a replacement it didn't fit, so I canbalized the motor to install in the old one and now it works. Some modifications required.

You might have similar luck with just buying a comparable motor. something like these:

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Since you need ventilation only when you are not on the boat, I used 4" computer cooling fan with 12vdc adapter and plugged it into AC outlet that uses shore power. The fan is mounted on 1/4" starboard replacing the bug screen.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, Fellas. First step is to see if the motor is gummed up, can be lubed etc. The alternate motor idea is certainly interesting. Do not want to cut the hatch for a re-size if I don't have to.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks, Fellas. First step is to see if the motor is gummed up, can be lubed etc. The alternate motor idea is certainly interesting. Do not want to cut the hatch for a re-size if I don't have to.
Mine quit some years ago and I got a rebuild kit from Nicro that replaced the motor and battery. It has worked great ever since.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine quit some years ago and I got a rebuild kit from Nicro that replaced the motor and battery. It has worked great ever since.
Good tip!

Google provided a link to the parts..

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When I got mine, I had to put it a 1/4" away from an incandescent light bulb before it would start spinning. I agree with those people that said to check the motor. I've revived quite a few fans with fresh lube. You can also check the motor by applying a small voltage to it

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Finally got this off the boat. It shows a 3/95 date scratched into the plastic housing. Anyone have a contact email or phone for Nicro or whomever took over for them? Need to find out if this old guy is even repairable/refurbish-able. Motor shaft seems to spin freely.
CIMG0143.JPG
CIMG0137.JPG
CIMG0137.JPG
CIMG0138.JPG

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I unscrewed the top (the 4 screws you see above) and frankly do not see a way to get at the motor without breaking the plastic casing around it. Anyone know if this vintage is really repairable, even with a "hack" approach?

Jan 19, 2010
It was assembled at some point so you must be able to disassemble. What does it look like inside the boat? Maybe you have to pull the vent completely off of the boat to find the access points.

I found the installation manual. It looks like you can get to the motor from the fan side...

see attached.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I unscrewed the top (the 4 screws you see above) and frankly do not see a way to get at the motor without breaking the plastic casing around it. Anyone know if this vintage is really repairable, even with a "hack" approach?
If you get this figured out please pass along your solution. I have the same fans, probably from the same year. One works fine and one only spins if you start it with your finger, and then it is slow. I replaced the battery and had the same problem so I'm thinking it is the motor but couldn't see how to get it out without breaking the case. I got as far as you have and then just put it back together.

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
It was assembled at some point so you must be able to disassemble. What does it look like inside the boat? Maybe you have to pull the vent completely off of the boat to find the access points.

I found the installation manual. It looks like you can get to the motor from the fan side...

see attached.
You probably can on that one but the 1995 vintage is a way different model. It looks like the motor was cast or glued into a clear casing and I just don't see how it could come apart to replace it.

Jan 19, 2010
You probably can on that one but the 1995 vintage is a way different model. It looks like the motor was cast or glued into a clear casing and I just don't see how it could come apart to replace it.
Bummer
I was at West Marine sticks in brick store yesterday and saw two solar vents sold together as a package for $119. It was a different brand though.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The model on my boat is a little newer than yours. Once the screws are removed, I was able to pry the solar cell up and out of the metal dome. It's held in place with a rubber gasket to keep the moisture out. The motor is then accessible under the solar cell.

Look like yours is an older model similar to the one in this post:
Nicro Marine Solar Day/Night vent

You may have to cut the bottom portion of the tube the motor sits in and glue the replacement in place with some sikaflex or similar.

This person used a 12v computer fan and wired it to the boat's 12v system:
https://www.electricmarine.com/web/da_boat/my_nicro.htm

Might be an option if you have a light fixture nearby.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
As it turns out, I was able to find a brand new one similar to mine on E-bay for a reasonable price. That will make it a simple "push in and play" deal for me. If it lasts half as long as the original one (28 years!), it will most certainly outlast my remaining sailing years. Thanks to all who chimed in, however.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
As it turns out, I was able to find a brand new one similar to mine on E-bay for a reasonable price. That will make it a simple "push in and play" deal for me. If it lasts half as long as the original one (28 years!), it will most certainly outlast my remaining sailing years. Thanks to all who chimed in, however.
Glad you found a solution.
Who was the seller?
Did they have any more?