NGCC In Memoriam

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
2nd Anniversary of demise of Northern Gulf Coast Cruise, so sad it died. Was a great event , port to port sailing together for a week with other Cat 22 cruisers. Many memories of Big Lagoon too.
20170508_173102.jpg

20170508_173102.jpg

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
While I don't have a 22, I do have a Catalina. It only takes one person to try and get it started again! Does that give you any ideas? Others probably feel the same way. Why did it die off? COVID? Organizer get tired and overworked? Got old? Loss of general interest? Were most of the boats local? Give it a shot maybe!

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
You can still set one up like a local Regatta, doesn't require a national's endorsement but their advertising would be helpful or at least access for a mailer.

Sep 14, 2014
Yep trailer boaters used to travel from all over for it , sponsored heavily by natl cruise folks. Now just dropped. One year nearly 30 plus boats!

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Many times the people that organize events get out of sailing, get old, many reasons. Add to that it is a lot of work but can be very gratifying. Maybe some one, some where is thinking the same thing and it could take on a life of it's own if some one just puts the ball in play. Maybe give it a shot. I used to do Regatta's, even did a district C-22 along with one, lots of work but also very gratifying as well.

Sep 14, 2014
Got some feedback, correcting my statement, looking back at docs from earlier cruises this was a Fleet 77 sponsored event, so they decided to no longer run the thing around 2021 or so. Apologizes to national , my bad. Still miss it though. was a nice week long cruise.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
I still think that more than likely there was a lack of volunteerism or the organizer retires and no one has taken up the torch. Contract fleet 77, offer to organize it and you may be surprised how welcomed that is, but be careful what you wish for as well.