Newprt 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Lakari

Does anybody know anything about an Award Newport 16 (manufactured by Award Sailboats of Melbourne, FL in the 70's)? Sloop with main and jib, roller reef, small cabin with v-berth, N/16 and a number on the sail. Is the Newport 16 a class where all the boats are the same regardless of manufacture?

B

Bill O'Donovan

In Virginia...

Newports were made in the 1970s by Gloucester Yachts in Matthews County. We sailed a 16-footer for 11 years and it's still going strong. Why do you ask?

B

Bob Lakari

Newport 16

The boat I just bought has a plaque on the transom with "Award Sailboats, Melbourne, FL" and a serial number beginning with "AWD". I have been unable to find any record of this company on the net so I thought I'd ask around. The boat appears to be a more basic version of the Newport and Neptune 16's made by Gloucester, etc. that I've seen in photos online. I'd also like to get a feel for the sailing characteristics in light and moderate winds and seas. I haven't put it in the water yet pending some repair work. Any tricks I should know? Thanks, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.