Newport 30 Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2012
Newport 30 III 30 III Haleiwa Harbor
I am currently entertaining the thought of buying a Newport 30 that has been severely neglected by the current owner. I think it's about a 1979 to 1982??? Boat is in a slip and has not been bottom cleaned in over five years.... Yeah. Short of that you know the rest of the story. Nothing has been taken care of with exception of there are two new batteries in it.

I sailed it on July 4th about 20/30 miles (no jib). Owner says he has one but just wasn't on board when we went out. When we anchored for the day I dove in and check the bottom (WOW!!!). A lot of buildup/barnacles. We motored back as the winds we too light for our return time. We were probably dragging 300lbs of barnacles too. The motor got hot. I could smell it. Then when I looked at the temp gauge it was running 230+. The owner said it was because I ran it too hard.... That you can't run any diesel engine near full throttle like that or they will get hot (huh?). Anyway, we made it back and survived the trip.

Originally I had offered him $10K before we went on the sail. Thank God he didn't take it. So now we are negotiating again. I have him over a barrel, but don't know if I'm buying a nightmare (money pit). Still at $10K with him doing the haul out, redoing the bottom, check the rudder, shaft/bearing and seal and prop, putting on the jib and all the rigging for the roller furling, wiring, nav lights, engine check, and a few other key components. He is in desperation mode and wants to just unload it for $5K and I do everything.

What else could be wrong with it? I think it's pretty much a complete overhaul. It's been SO neglected.

Anyone have some words of wisdom.

Deal or No Deal?

Steve

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The Newport 30 generally speaking is a good boat, good sailing vessel and has some nice interior space. But, depending on the condition, you may wish to pass or proceed. The things that are expensive are bulkhead replacement, structural problems and engine replacement. It is feasible that you ran the engine too hard. If it seems to be spewing out water from the exhaust ok, then the cooling system probably is working ok. You can always send in an oil sample check to get some good info on the engine condition too. Barnacles can be removed (not fun). But, if the boat has blisters, that will cost a bunch. Is the deck sound? You might want to hire a surveyor to see what you are up against.

Aug 2, 2011
Newport 30 MKIII Madeira Beach, FL
Even a vessel taken care of by the previous owner is going to require work and money. The question is, do you want to sail or buy a project? I would consider seeing what else is out there for what you're willing to spend and compare the two.

Good Luck,
Len Keller
Windborne, N30 III

Status
Not open for further replies.