Newport 30-3 grab rails

Nov 12, 2021
capital yachts newport 30 mk 3 great kills harbor
Hello, I recently purchased a 1986 Newport 30-3. I’m in the middle of my first haul out and I am doing a lot of repairs over the winter months ( thru hull replacement, replacing pvc gate valves with bronze ball valves, head stay and roller furler replacement, a multitude of electrical issues. On this list is also fiberglass work to various areas of the deck.
I want to replace my horribly weathered deck mounted grab rails. My problem is locating new a company that manufactures grabrails that will fit my boat. I am finding straight rails but non that are curved as mine is. Has anyone replaced these deck rails and might have some tips about acquiring them?
Thank you for any advice

Bill

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One of our sailors @TomY who is handy with wood working built his own, in order to improve on the traditional rail that often causes problems. Here is the link to his project.

Nov 12, 2021
Thanks everyone for the reply’s I have a few options now. These forums are a god send

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
These guys will make them to match what you have now…

and they don’t ever need to be varnished!

Greg

Nov 12, 2021
I bought some 8’x4”x1” lengths of teak wood from a lumber yard in Florida and had them shipped up to NY and made my own so much cheaper. With shipping 4 lengths of wood cost me 156$ I can make 1 rail out of each piece, so I bought extra for when I inevitably mess something up.
Here’s my pictures. Thanks for all the responses
iOS Image - 2280010485.jpg
iOS Image - 1827692220.jpg
iOS Image - 1801200513.jpg

Nov 12, 2021
Looks really nice!

Greg
Thanks Greg, it was about 4 hour labor to make the 2 of them. I messed up the thrubolt placement on the starboard side, I’ll make a new one but not until next season, too many projects left to battle, and man I want to be back in the water lol