Newport 28 mk2 masthead fittings

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
Hi I'm fitting an anchor light to my masthead- a friend sent up his drone to take pics and seems the best option is to mount a right angle bracket screwed into the side of the masthead. I can see two sets of screw holes (one already taken with a similar bracket used for the windex). From rough measurement, comparing the 3/8th" halyard with the two holes they look exactly 1" apart.

Can anyone confirm this please?
I can cut slots rather than just a hole to allow some wriggle room but occurred to me someone may know more exact details!
Thanks in advance!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t know the answer to your question, but 2 ideas come to mind…

1) drill one hole and 1 slot…that way you can get 1 bolt directly in a hole, and you can move the other one around in the slot to line it up to the hole.

2) is it easier to mount the anchor light on thr bracket for the windex? Not sure if that is an aluminum bracket or not…but it would be easy to drill.

Greg

adamv

May 17, 2022
I don’t know the answer to your question, but 2 ideas come to mind…

1) drill one hole and 1 slot…that way you can get 1 bolt directly in a hole, and you can move the other one around in the slot to line it up to the hole.

2) is it easier to mount the anchor light on thr bracket for the windex? Not sure if that is an aluminum bracket or not…but it would be easy to drill.

Greg
Thanks on 1 that's a good idea- I did want to avoid spending any more time up there than absolutely necessary so wanted to do all the drilling on terra firma. I need the drill prepped with a wide bore bit to get the hole in the mast. Im planning on duct taping a safety line around my drill so dropping it is less of a hazard. Maybe with a bag secured as a safety net I wouldn't be as afraid about dropping anything onto the boat or crew below!
2. Again, good idea but I'm not confident enough space is left on the windex plate. The light needs a 3 inch foot print and looks too tight do do anything but a bodge job!

adamv

May 17, 2022
So yes my 'solution' is affront to all engineers but it does mean my estimates/ calculations/ sheer guesswork can be out by a 60% margin of error. If this doesn't work I guess it just means a bit more drilling 36' 3 inches off the ground!
20220703_202201.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So yes my 'solution' is affront to all engineers but it does mean my estimates/ calculations/ sheer guesswork can be out by a 60% margin of error. If this doesn't work I guess it just means a bit more drilling 36' 3 inches off the ground! View attachment 206889
If it works, it doesn’t have to be pretty:)

Gteg