Newport 28 batteries

MattA

May 2, 2011
Neptune 24 Tucson, AZ
I came into possession of a Newport 28 MkII recently. As I start going through the boat, to see what works and what doesn’t, my first priority is to put some batteries back into the boat. I see what looks like a spot for 2 batteries on the port side. My first question is, what size batteries fit in that spot? Looks like 24’s but I’m hoping to fit bigger ones in for the increase in amp hours. Second, where does the starting battery go? I’m hoping it’s not in the same factory location, as only one house battery would be pretty anemic. Has anyone managed to add a house battery somewhere else in order to have a larger house bank? Thanks for any and all help!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know the Newport 28 specifically but for a boat of that era I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just designed for two group 24’s. The owners manual at http://yanick.me/yknot/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Owners-Manual-Newport-28-1.pdf seems to say one battery was standard with space for a second, selectable with the typical 1-2-B switch. Electrical loads 40 years ago were more limited than today.

If you can’t find space to add another battery you could just use the two batteries combined as a house bank, and keep an engine jump start pack for emergencies in case you drain the house bank too low to start the engine. You could also consider a lithium house bank; with that you could drain the batteries lower without damaging them so you’d have more usable capacity. Although that comes at the cost of more charging complexity.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on finding a new boat to look after. Have you told your Neptune 24 there is a new girl in the fold and she will want bling from your wallet?

While the builders did there best to electrify boats, there have been many changes in thought since the last Newport 28 was splashed in 1981. You have the opportunity to be creative and do your own thing armed with new materials and equipment improvements. Loacate batteries in your boat as close as posible to charging sources, minimize the length of wire runs, place in boat as low and centered as much as you can so that the battery weight does not impact your sailboats center of gravity.

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
there's a few (3 i believe) configurations of newport. I have the aft starboard galley. Batteries for me are under the port settee. The starter fits under the chart-table and there's space for 2 house batteries and an inverter in the compartment forward of that.