Newbie Hunter 170 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
I posted the comments below in the wrong forum and am reposting here for a quicker response...

I just bought a used model 170 from a dealer. I wasn't able to see the mast stepped correctly because of my schedule. I guess I should have "pressed" the dealer to see the procedure from start to finish. However, I thought I understood it.

Flash forward to my first "step". The boat was setup with the shrouds attached to both the mast and the deck. I couldn't seem to pull the mast back far enough to get the end pins into the stepped slot. So I disconnected the shrouds from the deck and then stepped the mast. With nothing to support the mast, it was necessary for my wife to "balance" the mast while I reattached the shrouds. One time we almost lost it when the mast leaned to the right. We finally got the job done, but I don't want to go through that gaggle again if I can help it.

A few days later, I happened to see a guy pulling a 170 to our boat launch and he had the mast stepped in less than 5 minutes. He did it with the shrouds attached and I'm hoping to repeat his technique next time I do it.

Is this the way other owners step their mast on the 170? The manual on page 27 implies that the shrouds are connected to the deck after the mast is raised.

Also, the manual implies on the same page that there should be a "forestay" along with jig line. I'm running with a furling jig and thought that took the place of a forestay. Is this a true statement?

Any inputs on the above questions would certainly be appreciated.

C

Capt Strain

Re: Newbie Hunter 170 questions

Ahoy Bluerunner,
First off, you posted in the correct forum in the first place. I thought for sure that someone with a Hunter 170 would have responded to you. I personally don't have a 170 but do know this from experience: if your shrouds' pivot point (the point where they attach to the chainplate/deck) is lower than your mast's pivot point, then you can raise and lower the mast with the shrouds attached, as they will become loose as the mast goes down. However, if the shroud's pivot point is higher than the mast's pivot point, the shrouds will tend to tighten as the mast is lowered, making it impossible to lower the mast in some cases. I suppose that you could loosen them, depending on how much play that you have on the turnbuckles or whatever.
Lastly, again I'm not sure of the 170, but on my h30, the forestay is in the furler so your last statement would be True.
I hope this helped. Perhaps someone with a Hunter 170 will have more input.
Fair Winds

Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for the input. Since I just posted my questions yesterday, I would assume that it would take a few to several days to get a reply from an 170 owner.

If by pivot point, you mean the slot that the mast goes into before starting up, that point is at least a foot deeper than where the shrouds attached to the deck plate.

I DID see a mast stepped on a 170 with the shrouds attached so that is possible. When I pull the boat out of the water in about a week, I'll get some practice stepping it before I put it away for the winter.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
My first suggestion is to check on this site for Hunter Owners Modifications. What you are looking for is a Quick release shroud lever. the ones I have are made by Johnson. I have four of them, one on each shroud with quick release pins for added speed in setup. You attach the shrouds first, step the mast, raise the mast in place, which you can do with a little practice or a trailer mounted winch. The shrouds will stabilize your mast and allow you to attach your jibstay. Then lock down your shroud levers, attach your boom, sail and off you go. But check out http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=267&cat_id=11&page=model&mn=170.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Quick release levers help but my son and I transport and step w/ shrouds on, even with proper tension. As I hold the mast overhead behind the boat, he forces the base down into the tangs. He'll pull the jib forward while I walk the mast up. If necessary, we'll use the trailer winch on the topping list to get that last 2-3 inches necessary to fasten the jib but typically this is not reqiured.

Not to say the levers are not worth the cost, they make adjusting shroud tension much easier and I'll have a set on this winter. Quick release pins are worth the price but make sure you purchase the ones with positive locking.

Oct 8, 2009
Hey Qoheleth...

Great website recommendation! I want most of them on my boat!

Re the quick release shroud lever, are they the same size as the stock shroud piece that attaches to the deck? I like that idea, but at this moment, I don't want to get involved with shorting the shroud lines because the quick release shroud connectors are longer.

I'm really excited about my 170 although I've only had it for a week and will have to pull it out in a few days.

Oct 8, 2009
As I hold the mast overhead behind the boat, he forces the base down into the tangs. He'll pull the jib forward while I walk the mast up. If necessary, we'll use the trailer winch on the topping list to get that last 2-3 inches necessary to fasten the jib but typically this is not reqiured.

Not to say the levers are not worth the cost, they make adjusting shroud tension much easier and I'll have a set on this winter. Quick release pins are worth the price but make sure you purchase the ones with positive locking.
As I stated in my original post, I've only had one go at stepping the mast and it turned into a real circus. When you say you hold the mast overhead behind the boat, I assume you're holding it parallel to the ground and your son is then forcing the "down" end into the "tangs". Is that correct?

Tomorrow I'm heading down to West Marine to see if they have the quick release pins and perhaps the adjusting shroud connectors.

The funniest thing about the 170 is that EVERY SHOREBIRD that has seen it first asks "How do you keep the water out of it with the open back end?" I guess I'm going to have to come up with some clever replies! The open back end was a major reason I bought this boat (ease of entry). Nothing worse then stepping into a small day sailer at the beach and having it almost tip over because of the weight shift.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
NO! I replaced them directly. Same size, but they open! You don't shorten the shrouds at all. They are brilliant! And I raise the mast by myself. I single most of the time as finding a crew in WV is next to impossible and my family works during the week. So I attach the quick release levers with the mast stepped, climb up in the boat, lift the mast and walk it forward. When it falls into place, I grab the jibstay, walk it fowrard and attach it to the bow. Simple as 1,2,3!

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Bluerunner, if I am not mistaken, both pictures are of the large ones. The small ones have seven holes and have two parts. The large ones have three holes and three parts. You def want the small ones for the Hunter 170. I also have a Venture 25 and use the large ones on it.

Oct 8, 2009
Bluerunner, if I am not mistaken, both pictures are of the large ones. The small ones have seven holes and have two parts.
Now that I look at the pictures, I think you're right. I certainly don't see 7 holes on the small unit. AND I like the price of the smaller ones much better (especially times 4)!

Status
Not open for further replies.