Newbie 85 p18 question on reefing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2012
I can't find any reefing hooks on the boom. Is this common? Should I tie it down instead? I also have no factory backstay. Looks like previous owner was using a braided line instead. Is that safe while I'm waiting on the replacement?
Thanks !! Hope to have her out on the 4th of July..

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Hello! I have a P21, which is the P18's bigger brother.

1. There should be a reefing hook on the gooseneck on the starboard side of the boat.

2. Tricky question about the backstay. I would wait for the replacement. Could the braided line work? Sure, with brackswept shrouds the backstay on my boat is the least "tensioned" of the standing rigging. But is it worth the risk? I don't think so, but that's your call.

Precision builds a great boat. Welcome aboard and happy sailing!

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
I can't find any reefing hooks on the boom. Is this common? Should I tie it down instead? I also have no factory backstay. Looks like previous owner was using a braided line instead. Is that safe while I'm waiting on the replacement?
Thanks !! Hope to have her out on the 4th of July..
That may be the line that holds the boom up. While your inspecting stuff. Check the two bolts on your keel down below and make sure their not rusted! You should see two black caps on top of them. pop them off and inspect for rust. This is what holds your keel on. mine is the kinda the same year 1986 /85 and needed to be changed out. Send me your email address and will forward pictures to you for your files.

Regards; Capt Rob
usadco (at) Comcast (.) Net

Status
Not open for further replies.